Christmas breakfast

Finally! It's Christmas morning. As if I had an internal alarm clock, I wake up very early in the morning and sneak out of the bedroom. For the past few weeks I've been making plans on how to surprise James and Peter for Christmas. And how could I do that better than with an extensive Christmas breakfast? With Peter I started this tradition as soon as we moved into our parents house and out of the orphanage. And now that James is part of my family - part of ours - he will of course be part of it too. I turn on the radio in the kitchen. Just quietly so as not to wake the boys. To my delight, Wham's "Last Christmas" is on. Even though a lot of people find this song super annoying and corny, it's one of my favorite Christmas songs. I have big plans for breakfast. First I prepare waffle batter - regular waffle batter and one with chocolate chips and a pinch of cinnamon. I bought a Santa shaped attachment for my waffle iron which I now use to bake the waffles. As soon as the waffles are done, I layer them on a plate which, once all the waffles are done, I put in the oven to keep warm. Then I prepare small fruit pots - there are some with tangerines, apples, bananas, raspberries, blueberries. Then I put Nutella, peanut butter, a crustard and maple syrup in separate bowls to garnish the waffles with. Once that's all set, I fry bacon and prepare a large bowl of scrambled eggs. Ok, now I just have to set the table and make coffee. I set the table with plates I bought especially for Christmas a few years ago - they have old-fashioned Christmas designs on them. In addition, a few candles that I distribute on the table. Once I'm happy with the table, I make coffee for James and I and a cup of hot chocolate for Peter. I place the cups, two bottles of orangejuice and all the food on the table. One last checking look - perfect! Time to wake up the boys. I'll wake up Peter first. When I open the door to his room I see that I don't have to wake him up anymore. He's already awake in bed doing something on his laptop.

Victoria: Good morning. Why are you already awake?

Peter: Heard you in the kitchen. Are we having our Christmas breakfast again?

Victoria: You bet. I'll wake James up quickly, but you can go to the kitchen already.

Peter darted past me so fast that if I had blinked I would have missed it. Shaking my head in amusement, I go into my James and my bedroom to wake him up. Unlike Peter, he's still asleep. Gently, I shake his shoulder. But instead of waking up, he just rolls to his side. Well, then I'll just have to bring out the heavier artillery. I get into bed with him and straddle him before I start attacking him with kisses. Giggling, he rolls back onto his back and gives me a sleepy look.

Victoria: Good morning baby.

Bucky: Good morning doll. Why are you awake already?

Victoria: Well, because it's Christmas. Come on, get up, breakfast is already on the table.

Bucky: Ok doll, give me a moment and I'll be right in the kitchen.

But since I know my man very well, I wait until he actually gets up and goes to the bathroom. Otherwise, knowing James, he would have just rolled over and gone back to sleep. Only then do I go back to the kitchen where Peter is already waiting impatiently.

Peter: That's why I love Christmas. Like every year, it's just perfect.

Victoria: Thank you Peter.

Bucky: You do this every year?

James asks as he comes into the kitchen and sits down with us.

Victoria: Yep. Starting Christmas morning with a big breakfast is a tradition for us.

Bucky: Then I feel honored to be part of it today.

Victoria: Well, you may not be a born Parker, but you're mine now, which is almost the same thing.