iii. five days

KAMISATO AYATO

KAMISATO AYATO

The next time I crossed paths with her is the morning after. Upon entering her field of vision, I could see her tense up. It seems like my words affected her in some way. I sat at my side of the table, my eyes linger on her form.

"Are you serving breakfast for today?" I asked her whilst no one was around.

She glanced at me just for a second before focusing on the food she's preparing.

"Yes, today its fried egg with soup and rice."

She replied a bit too fast for my liking. Does it still shake her to her core? Did she really think I had a vendetta against her to say such playful words? If she even thought for a second that its true, then thats quite a foolish thing to do. I doubt a fool's play would get her shaken up but I guess I was incorrect.

"I hope you didn't poison my food," I said, playfully. Somehow, its quite entertaining to play around with her. Its not like she'll stick around any time soon.

she's leaving.

I know.

"Please don't think of such nonsense, I have no intent to do so," her voice was quite stern. She approached my side of the table and set down my portion of food before moving on to Ayaka's.  "and please do not pit me against Thoma. He has every right to his duties, I have nothing to be petty about."

Ah, there it is. So she wasn't a fool after all. I hummed delightfully, ending our conversation there. It seems I have hit quite a chord with her. How very curious.

Ayaka arrived not too long after, to which she decided to leave us alone. My sister and I caught up with each other's end of businesses; to which I felt very proud of my sister's accomplishment. The festival had nothing but good hope to blossom soon. I'd definitely drop by to see how it will go down.

After breakfast, the servants line up to see us off before starting their daily routines. my sister and I were greeted by Thoma and Y/N as per usual, the maid casted her glance down to her feet.

"Ah, apologies but there is something I'd like to share," I spoke up. Ayaka and Thoma looked at me curiously, and Y/N had a surprised look on her face. Smiling to her in return, I continued. "A close... friend of ours will be departing from the household soon."

"what?"

"Oh dear, who may it be?"

I didn't reply, instead I pin my gaze on the head maid (or soon to be ex-head maid of the household). Her frantic glances were endless before she got a chance to collect herself from the sudden attention. I've never seen her look so distraught before.

"I... I decided to end my duties here at the end of this week. Its been a pleasure working with you all," she bowed to my sister before doing the same towards Thoma.

"whoa wait, that's so sudden though!" Thoma exclaimed, surprise laced his voice.

"I have other priorities to tend to."

So that's her reason towards Thoma. How very interesting.

"Shall we make a farewell party? You worked with us for so long," Ayaka suggested. Much to her joy, Y/N quickly took down the idea.

"its okay, my lady. I rather depart quietly."

"A quiet departure for a quiet servant, very fitting," I commented, earning a second of silence in the room before Thoma quickly opened the door for us, with the help of Y/N by his side.

The comment was quickly dismissed but clearly enough it caused discomfort with the three of them. the servants were in line, with Thoma and Y/N before us. They all bowed to us in a single bow before we depart for work.

Work.... Those papers at home count as work, right?

But alas I have meetings to attend to. Surely I'll get home soon enough to complete those paperworks. Maybe I'd grab some boba tea on the way home.

Somehow, I dislike the idea of leaving home today. Clearly those paperworks are a problem, nothing more nothing less. I'll deal with it when i get home. Maybe with Thoma's help it'll be a breeze to go through.

How troublesome.