Chapter 16

While Rebecca went to the house to pack the rest of her things and Robert and Laura returned to settle back in at home, Grayson went to Kent's to retrieve Hawk and catch up with his business partner after his lengthy absence. While the two had kept in some contact over the summer, there hadn't been much detail passed between them, business or otherwise.

Grayson knocked lightly on the door and let himself inside. Kent had already seen him walking up and was halfway to the doorway when Grayson entered the foyer. As he surveyed the room to check if there was any visible damage, Grayson's hand went into his breast pocket for his checkbook even though he didn't see anything out of place, "alright, what's the damage?"

"As much as I'd love to take your money, Hawk didn't cause any damage."

"I'm sorry, it sounded like you said my son's terror of a dog spent three months here and didn't cause any damage," Grayson replied, dumbfounded. His hand was still in his pocket, holding the checkbook.

Kent was immensely pleased by Grayson's shocked expression as he went on, "Hawk didn't break or ruin anything the whole summer. He was extremely well behaved, in fact."

Grayson scratched his head, "what did you do, lock him in a room the whole time?"

"There wasn't any need," Kent shrugged, "it makes one wonder what's wrong with your methods. Maybe he can sense that you and Agnes aren't dog people, so he acts out."

"'Dog people'," Grayson scoffed, "that's absurd. He gets fed, has a place to live despite the carnage he continues to reap and Rob loves him enough for the whole household. What more does he want?"

"Obviously something you're lacking."

"I'm still not convinced you didn't lock him away or outside most of the summer just so you could have your moment of glory."

"He was well looked after, I assure you," Kent retorted, "see for yourself," he whistled and both Hawk and Ford came running around the corner chasing one another.

"So, that's what you did. You got him a friend," Grayson then looked up at Kent in alarm with eyes wide, "you didn't get him... for us to..."

"I would never in good conscience give you another dog. This one's all mine. Rich and Gail thought I ought to have one since I was enjoying having Hawk around. Turns out they were right."

"Oh, thank God," Grayson said as Hawk jumped up on him, licking his face and seemingly looking around for Robert, "Rob's at home. We'll go see him in a minute," Grayson explained. He pet a very excited Hawk until he was nearly knocked over, then the fun was over, "would you please get down," he got Hawk to settle a little, though he was still sniffing at Grayson's legs, frantic with excitement and seemingly trying to push him toward the door so they could see Robert sooner, "so, what's this one's name?"

"That's a little... up in the air."

"You haven't named him yet?"

"No, he came with a name... I just don't like it and I'm trying to see what else he might accept. So far nothing has."

"He seems a little old for a name change."

"Well, he's being a bit stubborn about it, but I'm still trying. We've run through Shep and Doug so far and he's not standing for either of them."

"How would you like it if I decided to change your name to Doug on a whim," Grayson retorted, "I think you might be stuck with what he came with. What's his real name? It can't possibly be that bad."

"It's not bad, per say."

"I do have three months worth of unpacking to do... are you going to tell me or do I have to guess," suddenly a spark of inspiration struck and Grayson gasped, his eyes growing wider, "don't tell me. Don't tell me," he bent down and looked at the black and white dog's collar and engraved on it was exactly what he expected. He began laughing, "Rich... got you a dog... named Ford? I've got to send that boy some sort of thank you card... buy him dinner, something, anything he wants! He's given me years of material," he continued, howling with laughter the more he thought about it. He was almost doubled over when he finally choked out, "did he do it intentionally?"