"I'm sleeping right now." Her mouth was dry and the words felt foreign after days of saying nothing. Emma groaned and rolled the direction opposite of Taylor's voice, using the warm blanket to shield her face.

"No, you aren't. She said you haven't been eating either."

"I just ate breakfast a few minutes ago."

"I know you didn't. It's also five in the afternoon." Emma didn't say anything else. She just laid there, eyes closed under the warmth of the blanket. "You can't stay out here much longer, it's too cold."

That did elicit a response from Emma. "I'm not going inside with him in there."

"Then I'll go inside to get your stuff and you can come over and sleep."

"I don't want you to go in there with him either." Emma threw the blanket off her face to look Taylor in the eye.

"What do you want to do? You can't stay out here." Emma didn't answer. She was planning on staying exactly where she was. "Okay, fine. I'll have your mom help me get your stuff and you can come over to sleep and eat something."

"I'm fine where right here." This time it was Taylor who didn't answer. She turned around and started walking towards the back door to the house. Emma scrambled to get out of the frozen hammock and chased after her.

Inside was exactly how she had left it. Her father on the couch with the television remote and her mother tending to his every need. Emma rolled her eyes and tried to figure out what was on the television. It was probably a sports game but she couldn't tell. A commercial was playing with two sets of lungs in giant glass cages. The one on the left was perfectly healthy and the other showed lungs that had been damaged from smoking.

Emma couldn't help but laugh. Her dad was doing everything in his power to avoid looking at the television while the commercial was playing. She looked her father right in the eye and turned the tiny amount of Tennessee in her voice up ten notches. "Sweating like a whore in church, ain't ya daddy?" She repeated the same words he had told her countless times.

"Emma!" She wasn't sure if her mother had said her name out of anger or shock that she was speaking. "Don't talk to your father like that." Her mother yelled at her from the kitchen where she was organizing pills into a week-long organizer.

"No. You were the one who always said to treat people the way you want to be treated. I think he should've lived by that a long time ago."

Emma used to be scared of him. She was once a thirteen year old girl that was terrified to be near him, scared she was going to say or do the wrong thing. Now she was twenty three and stronger than him in more ways than one. He wasn't going to hurt her like this. He was gaunt and could barely move. He had no power over her, let alone the ability to physically hurt her.

"Emma, darling, you need to be nice. He is still your father." The fake smile on her mothers face was audible.

"No, mum. I don't know why you let him back in the house. I am a full grown adult, I will say and do as I want. Right now I want to leave. That's what I'm going to do." Emma turned to go up to her room and zip up her suitcase. She hadn't actually unpacked anything, there was no need when you slept on a hammock outside and hadn't changed in three days.

Taylor

Taylor was sitting in the back of a car with Emma. It was completely silent. No music was playing and no one was talking. Taylor didn't know what to say about what just happened. She wasn't entirely sure she understood what just happened. Emma never talked about her dad, she tried not to talk about her family at all, but Taylor never realized the relationship between her and her father was this bad. Taylor sat there until the silence started to consume her.