"I never thought I would get the chance to kill both the elf king and the dwarf king at the same time," Azog said, pointing his weaponized arm between Thranduil on one side of the circle, and Thorin on the other. He looked back as his orcs, and said in Black Speech, "Do you smell it?" He turned back to the makeshift army and said in Westron, "Fear. Your father reeked of it when I tore him to pieces... Thorin, son of Thrain. And Thranduil, son of Oropher... the story of your wife is legend. When the first thing she saw was the sword... I've heard there has never been another smell like it. Tears mixed with fear as she cried out yours and your son's name. Is it true they sent you her head?"

Violet could see the tears burning in Thranduil's eyes, and when she turned to Legolas, his eyes were burning into his father's head. He said softly, "Ada? What do they mean? ...Ada? Tell me he's lying!"

Out of the last portion, all Violet would make out was the familiar term for dad in Sindarin, but with the look on Thranduil's face, the sound of Azog's cackle in the background, and Legolas's look of betrayal, she could infer it wasn't good. Thranduil's hand was tightened painfully on hers, and she was glad for the bodies close to hers, for they made sure Azog couldn't see, and neither could Legolas.

A horn sounded, but there was nearly no sound afterwards. Elves burst from the trees, arrows and spears held high, and the orcs surrounding them had no choice but to release them from the tight circle. Violet was separated from both Thranduil and Legolas, using every technique that came to mind, both wand and sword.

How did the elves know?

She looked around, swinging to the side and thrashing her sword towards an orc, and splatters of blood were on her face. Adrenaline was all that was keeping her going. Her thighs were burning, her mind was racing, and her eyes always seemed to find Azog on the battlefield, as he cut down his opponents with ease.

Arms wrapped around her from behind, and a sword was pressed at her throat before she had time to think. But, before the orc had time to do anything, an arrow lodged itself in her captor's head. She could see it beside her own out the corner of her eye. Almost like a cartoon, he slid to the floor, and she had a moment, just a moment to collect herself before the next one was upon her.

When she had him lying dead on her feet, she saw a sight on the battlefield that horrified her.

Azog had Thorin pinned to the ground, blade only being held off by Thorin's own sword.

Violet's eyes widened, and she looked around frantically. Her eyes met Thranduil's for the briefest of seconds, and they nodded, springing into action. Those around them began to take notice, covering their backs as best they could, while still fighting off their own enemies.

Thranduil leapt forward, and when his sword began to come down, Violet cast a spell towards the Defiler. It narrowly missed Thranduil's sword, but both knew it wouldn't ever hit. Thranduil and Violet were like two matching puzzle pieces.

With a war cry, the ellon's sword cut off Azog's arm, just like Thorin had all those years ago. But today was different. Today, they had Violet. Her spell hit the Defiler square in the chest, snapping his arms and legs to his body, throwing him backwards into a tree.

The body-binding curse was so powerful that everyone could hear the cracks of the wood, and it was enough to catch the attention of a lot of orcs, allowing many elves and dwarves to gain the upper hand or finally kill their opponent. Keeping an eye on Thorin, Thranduil and Violet ran off, never straying from the others' side. They fought back-to-back on the battlefield, the shrieks of orcs filling the area.

And when Thorin shoved his own sword through the heart of Azog the Defiler, elves and dwarves alike knew the battle had been won.

Azog had been slain, and with him, the remainder of order in the ranks of the orcs.