Chapter IV

"Oh, that smelled worse than what you lot did to Bilbo's toilet," Violet said, trying not to puke at the horrendous smell that was coming out of the troll cave. The rest of the company followed after her, giving various moans of agreement. The Potter woman looked down at the twin daggers she found lying in the cave. Gandalf told her they came out of Doriath in the First Age, but couldn't give her anymore information than that. They were a beautiful silver and the hilts had a singular ice blue diamond in the middle of it. Whoever owned these must have been nobility, because she doubted anything this expensive would have just been given out.

"Something's coming!" Thorin yelled.

"Stay together! Hurry now," Gandalf said, pulling his sword out, "Arm yourselves!"

Violet stuck her new daggers into her boots and grabbed Flufflepuff from her shoulder, shoving him into her bag that was slung across her body. Holding her wand out in front of her, she braced herself for whatever was coming as she followed the company. Her wand would always be her first line of defense. A line of giant rabbits carrying a man on a chariot look-alike broke through the trees.

"Thieves! Fire! Murder!" the stranger yelled. He looked a little worse for wear, with a strange hat on his head, clothed in all brown. His hair looked like a bird's nest and to add onto the look, he seemed to have what looked like bird poo running down his face!

"Radagast," Gandalf said, his body slumping out of it's defensive position. He put his sword back in its sheath. "It's Radagast the Brown! Well... what on Earth are you doing here?"

Everyone relaxed at the thought, while Violet put her wand away and leaned against a tree.

"I was looking for you, Gandalf," Radagast said, holding his hand out to Gandalf, "Something's wrong. Something's terribly wrong."

"Yes?" Gandalf asked, tentatively.

Radagast opened his mouth to speak with his finger up, but stopped himself, and looked to the side in confusion. He gave a great start again, before stopping himself once more and looking confused. He said, "Just give me a minute. Oh! I had a thought and now I've lost it!"

"Oh, where's Luna when you need her? Maybe it's the Wrackspurts," she said. She must have said it louder than she thought because Radagast turned to her. Quickly standing off the tree, she spoke again, "Just kidding! They don't exist."

"Smooth, Vi," Fili whispered, leaning closer to her. She knocked him in the shoulder with her elbow as he laughed. Radagast decided it was better to ignore her, and instead focus on what it was that he forgot.

"It was right there on the tip of my tongue!" The Brown Wizard exclaimed, pointing at his tongue, "Oh! Oh, it's not a thought at all. It's a silly old," -- he paused to let Gandalf reach into his mouth-- "stick insect."

Gandalf dropped the creature into Radagast's awaiting palm. Everyone was silent for a few minutes while Radagast gazed at the creature in amazement. He deposited it into a tree on a branch, before pulling Gandalf to the side to speak about whatever it was he found.

"Fili, Kili, where is Belegmorroch?" she asked. She looked at the brothers across the group from where they all sat, as she put her hand inside of her bag to pet Flufflepuff. He reached his head out, wanting to come out, but she pushed him back in as she said, "Not yet, darling. I'm not sure it's safe."

"Who?" Kili asked, looking up from where he was twirling a blue stone in his hand.

"My horse."

"He bolted in the opposite direction when the first two ponies got taken," Kili replied, scratching the back of his neck. Violet looked horrified. She was just beginning to make good friends with him!