The interview - Horner's perspective

A few months prior

"Horner, you've got to be kidding me!" Bechhammer angrily exclaims, his disbelief evident. "Out of all the applications, she's the least experienced," he goes on, shaking his head. 

"She's went to Harvard at only 16 years old, is nearly done with a specialization in emergency medicine, AND she's already published several papers on high-energy trauma, all at the age of 25. It's truly impressive," Horner counters, his tone tinged with admiration. "Yes, 'nearly' being the keyword here," Bechhammer retorts.

Susan Walker seizes the moment to interject, her voice cutting through the tension between the two men. "Perhaps it's time for us to consider a different approach, Dr. Bechhammer." The meeting room erupts chaos, each person voicing their opinion on the matter. "Of course we need specialists down at the track!" Bechhammer insists, his frustration palpable.

Horner raises his hands, palms out, in an attempt to pacify the angry assembly. "Let's take a moment to think. What have been the root issues with our previous hires? Tell me," Horner prompts. "They've all resigned," one team member chimes in. "And why did they resign?" Horner continues, looking around the room to see if anyone wishes to answer. When no one does, he answers himself. "Because specialized orthopedic surgeons, internal medicine doctors, whatever their specialization, don't want to handle carpal tunnel syndrome, concussions, skull fractures, spleen ruptures, and physical rehabilitation. It's too broad a spectrum. And if we bring in multiple specialists, they'll run out of work," Horner says, sweeping his gaze around the room, assessing their reactions. "Furthermore, it's because their patients, the drivers, and the rest of the personnel didn't listen to a single word they had to say," he continues, his voice slicing through the upset crowd. 

"To sum up, we've faced two main issues," he continues, his voice steady. "Doctors struggling to establish rapport with the drivers, and a reluctance among doctors to engage in such a broad range of medical challenges," he adds, his words carefully chosen. "In addition," Susan chimes in, "some of our more experienced doctors have found it difficult to cope with the traveling. Being away from their families takes a toll."

Bechhammer's frustration is palpable, his face flushed with agitation. "Let's call it what it is. The core issue isn't with the physicians. The core issue is Max!" His voice rises, almost cracking with intensity. "He refuses to heed advice, yet the doctors get blamed for the consequences!" He slams his fist on the table in a burst of anger, causing a nearby glass to shake. "Max is our client. We're not going to swap out our race driver just because he doesn't mesh with a caregiver. No, we change the caregiver to suit him," Horner declares. A voice of opposition pipes up, "This whole situation is absurd," the sentiment splits around the table, two opposing teams surface, trying to voice their opinions on the matter.

"When she suffered that car accident and broke her back, she used that period of recovery to publish a research paper on how her own treatment could have been optimized for faster rehabilitation," one voice chimes in, highlighting her dedication. "Hold on a second, are we seriously going to treat a car accident like it's some sort of merit?" another voice challenges. "But think about it, she's got a firsthand perspective, how many doctors can boast that?" someone counters, with a hint of both seriousness and amusement. "She already has an interest in motorsport, she trains kickboxing, and she's around their age group. I believe she could establish a solid rapport with the team," an older man suggests laughingly, ending his statement with a knowing nod.

Horner taps his glass with a spoon, bringing a hush to the room. "I genuinely appreciate each of your viewpoints, and I'll be sure to weigh them carefully. However, the ultimate decision is mine. The Red Bull brand has always prided itself on finding, and giving young talent a chance. As of now, my decision isn't final. Yet, it's essential to recognize that this young woman possesses experience and wisdom far beyond her years. I'll evaluate Nichole's application with the same gravity as I would for any other candidate." Dr Bechammer shakes his head in disappointment. "If she ends up being the chosen candidate, I'll ensure that we establish a configuration where she can connect with the right experts whenever the need arises. With that, this meeting is over" Horner finishes.

With swift strides, Horner exits the room before most of the meeting attendees even have a chance to rise from their chairs, retrieving his phone from his pocket, ready to make a very special phone call. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you to everyone who is reading and voting on my story! It means a lot ❤