Learning to be Metkayina

Someone nudged my shoulder, and I groaned.

"Five more minutes,"

"I gave you five more minutes," someone said in my ear, chuckling. 

"Aneya, come on! Get your lazy butt up so we can go to the sea!" said another voice, farther away than the first one.

The sea!

At that, I bolted upwards, almost clocking Neteyam in the chin as he leaned over me.

Our faces were inches apart.

My cheeks grew warm, and I coughed awkwardly as I looked away. 

Neteyam did the same before standing up and reaching his hand out to help me up.

Ralu was standing behind him with his arms folded and a bored expression on his face.

"Finally! I thought you'd never wake up!" He started to walk out of the marui, looking annoyed now. 

I accepted Neteyam's hand and got to my feet, grinning sheepishly. 

"Sorry, 'bout that." My cheeks had to be bright red by now.

"Don't worry about it," he laughed. 

We stayed quiet for a moment before I got an idea and quickly slid my foot between his, wrapped it around his knee, and flung him to the ground. I rolled over him and quickly stood up again.

"Race ya to the water!" I called, sprinting out of the marui.

"Aneya! That was cheating! You cheated!" Neteyam laughed, getting to his feet and running after me.

I shrieked as he grabbed me from behind, wrapping his arms around my waist. His chin came to rest on my shoulder, and I could feel his heartbeat through my back as he breathed.

We stayed like that for a minute, just catching our breaths, our tails swishing together. We could see Ralu in the distance, making his way across the bouncy platforms to reach Tsireya and the others, reminding me that we were late.

During our journey from the forest, we had gotten more comfortable with each other. Physically, at least. It was like our friendship had improved and been upgraded at the same time.

Neteyam lifted his head so I could feel his breath in my ear.

"Why did you sleep in so late? You usually never sleep past sunrise."

I huffed, ignoring the tingling feeling in my skin.

"Yesterday was long. Meeting Anoung and this clan's Tsahik certainly didn't help."

Neteyam stayed quiet, removing his arms from my waist to come and stand beside me.

His hip roughly knocked against mine, causing me to stumble.

"Would a race help?" He teased, before taking off towards the group.

"Neteyam!"

I got up and quickly followed him.

Ahead, I saw the platform that the others were on. One could easily reach it if they swam.

I glanced at the water, then back at Neteyam as he ran, looking back every so often to keep an eye on me. His eyes were sparkling with mischief.

I smirked and dove into the water.

I quickly reached the platform, pulling myself onto it and squeezing out my hair.

Neteyam arrived a second later.

"That was definitely cheating," he said, slightly breathless.

I grinned and flipped my hair, getting him wet.