Family Meeting

The tent-like structures were called maruis. They were made of woven roots from the giant trees on the bank.

During our tour, we were taken around each marui, shown the social spaces, the Ilu pens (small, seal-like creatures with long necks), the docks, and finally, the storage maruis.

Tsireya helped us pick out baskets, bags, and other stuff to pick up and bring to our own marui near the front of the village. 

It was also near the chief's home, so I don't know if that's a blessing or a curse.

We also got a whole box of clothes to put on. I giggled as Ralu modeled a fishing net, not realizing he was using an actual fishing net instead of the clothes. 

Anoung trudged along near the back and made his escape as soon as we had gotten all of our supplies. I suspected he'd get in trouble for leaving us, but his presence honestly brought the mood down, and I was glad for a respite from his judging eyes.

The pathways between the maruis were made of a stretchy material, making you bounce as you walked. Tuk was hopping along as we made our way to our new home, giggling as the animals in the water clicked and called to her.

A Metkayina mother and child were coming closer, so I shifted the weight of the new stuff onto my other side to raise my hand in hello.

The woman pulled back her child before he could get close, saying "No, no," while looking at us cautiously.

I lowered my hand, disappointed and more than a little hurt, and looked down, not letting anyone see my face.

It kind of stung that the locals were already pulling their children away even though they just met us. We were almost exactly like them, yet they treated us how we treated the Sky People. I shook off my thoughts, ignoring the worried look Neteyam sent me.

We made it to our marui, which was beautiful with woven sea glass on the side.

"This is for you," Tsireya said kindly. "Your new home."

"Yea, this'll work," Jake said enthusiastically. "This is great."

He stepped into it.

"It's nice, right?"

Neytiri dropped the rolled-up rug she was carrying and heaved a heavy sigh.

I guess that meant no.

-

That evening, I watched the sun disappear over the horizon. It felt so similar to what I did at home, except this horizon was made of water, not trees. And there usually wasn't this much movement in the top branches at this time of day.

"Alright, Sullys, fall in," Jake called.

"Remember? Family meeting?" Neteyam asked, roughly pulling Lo'ak to the ground to sit.

"Come on, take a knee, let's go."

I joined them, crouching beside Neteyam, facing Jake. Netyam had his warrior face on, giving his father his full attention. Ralu flopped down beside me and tugged on a lock of my hair, starting to braid it. I slapped his hand away, motioning for him to pay attention.

Neytiri sat down, prompting Kiri to do the same.

Kiri was upset. It was obvious. Unfortunately, when she was upset, she often retreated into herself and threw her claws outwards.

I should talk to her, but I'm honestly too exhausted from anything to focus on anything but Jake at the moment. Plus, her comments from that night still hurt.

"Okay," Jake sighed. "I need you, kids, on your best behavior."

He looked at each of us in turn.

"I mean it," he said. "Learn fast. Pull your weight."

He paused, looking at Lo'ak.

"And don't cause trouble. You got it?"

Lo'ak looked annoyed.

"Yes, sir." He mumbled.

Neteyam chucked affectionately and tugged at his hair.

Not in the mood for jokes, Lo'ak snarled at Neteyam, who quickly let go and backed off.

I smiled, nudging Neteyam with my shoulder.

"He'll lighten up, eventually," I whispered.

He gave me a worried smile before turning his attention back to Jake, who was comforting a crying Tuk.

"Now, we're going to get through this," he was saying. "We're going to get through this if we have each other's backs, alright?"

"What does your father always say?" Neytri asked.

"Sullys stick together," they chorused lamely. Or at least Neteyam and Lo'ak did. Kiri and Tuk stayed silent. Ralu and I also stayed silent, mostly because we weren't exactly Sullys. We were a part of their group, I think, but I didn't know if we had reached that level of being able to call ourselves Sullys yet.

"That's right, Sullys stick together," Jake said, rubbing Kiri's knee in an effort to try and cheer her up. "Now this time with some feeling!"

"Sullys stick together,"  they said, a bit more loudly.

Neteyam stared at Kiri, prompting her to say it as well.

She just rolled her eyes at him and looked away.

The family meeting ended, and Ralu resumed braiding my hair. By the time the sun had completely hidden itself, he had managed a few small braids as well as knotting up the rest of my hair that forced me to brush it out before bed.