𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐰𝐨

Start from the beginning

"We surrender." He says, making a laugh scoff from my lips, joining us afterwards.

I was at the end, daydreaming and hardly paying attention— until. Rick whistles at us, gesturing for us to come closer before whispering loudly, "Keep close." Making blink back into reality and hurry to catch up to them.

"Thank you for helping us." A girls voice speaks up from beside me, a very shy and small one; for a moment I had to look for the person that spoke and when I realized who it was, I was stunned— Kassala. I'm too shocked to speak, it was the first time hearing her voice. "Kendall..? Was I loud enough? Did you hear me?"

"Tighten up." Rick says, reaching us and waiting until we pass him.

"You're, uh, welcome, Kassala." I respond with a quick breath. "Sorry, I just— sorry. You should speak more, though. You have a nice voice." I smile, which she returns; I give him a nod afterwards watching while she scurries off to walk with her siblings.

"Help!" A scream tore through the air, it made birds fly away, and it makes us stop. "Help, anybody! Help!" Carl looks over to his dad with aspiration, begging Rick to let him help the person.

"Dad, come on." He says. "Come on!" He is much more anxious this time, gesturing to whoever called for help. "Come on."

"Anyone! Help!"

Rick hesitated; and in his eyes I could see that he really didn't want to help, he didn't want another mouth to feed or problem to deal with.. and I agree. But after a second, he nods at his son, allowing him to run off and save someone. The only choice we're given is to follow, which we did, with our weapons raised.

At the very back of the group, I watch as the rest go to work. Pacing side to side, I lock my fingers before holding my hands atop my head. I was dehydrated and short of breath, running should've been my last option.

Carl fires the first shot, straight through a walkers skull; Rick kills the next one, but by hand, smashing the walkers head right into a boulder; Michonne whacks the butt of her gun into a walkers skull; Daryl shot an arrow to save Carol, who was stabbing one, from another that was trying to sneak up on her.

"We're clear. Keep watch."

On the large boulder is a priest, aka the man who cried walker. A bald black man who still wears his church outfit, looking around at us with concern and fear. Once Rick assures him it's safe to climb down from the boulder, he does. He shakes and trembles as he jumps down, clutching the boulder and looking everywhere but us.

"You okay?" Rick asks. Raising a finger toward him, the priest doubles over and empties out his stomach.

I groan and cringe, turning away, waiting for the dude to finish.

"Sorry." He murmured and I look back over, watching him standing slowly and sniffle. "Yes." The priest answers Rick's question while smiling weakly, nodding. "Thank you. I'm Gabriel."

"Do you have any weapons on you?" The sheriff asks over his introduction; Gabriel seems to find something amusing because he chuckles at the question.

The priest looks over at Michonne, raising his arms at Rick. "Do I look like I would have any weapons?"

"We don't give two short and curlies what it looks like." Abraham narrows his eyes.