Chapter 5

Diana is in line with the other Cardiff Children's Foundation Chairmen, shaking hands with all the major donors in attendance. She looks striking in her red gown that reveals one bare shoulder and the Tiffany Diamonds she is wearing. She looks like the millions her family is worth.

Seeing Charles making his way towards her, she tries to remain calm as she doesn't want the press to get any ideas. Different media members from all over Europe are present to capture moments from one of the most significant annual events in Wales. By Diana being one of the board members, attention has increased.

Charles stands before Diana and is introduced to Diana by Prime Minister Gareth Hughes, another board member.

"Your Highness, I am pleased to introduce the Prince of England, Prince Charles. Your Highness, I would like to introduce you to Her Royal Highness Princess Diana of Wales."

"Lovely to meet you," Charles replies, giving Diana a smile and a gentle handshake.

"Nice to meet you too, Your Highness. Thank you for coming tonight."

"You're welcome. Thank you for having me," Charles replies again, winking at Diana.

Diana smiles as Charles is escorted to the next person. Thankfully, they were facing each other as the press wouldn't have caught Charles' wink. Sometimes, the Welsh press can be relentless.

Later that night, Diana is talking to another donor when her assistant Anne approaches her.

"Excuse me, Your Highness, but your presence is requested elsewhere," Anne whispers.

"Thank you, Anne, excuse me," Diana says to her guest.

Diana follows Anne outside to the garden towards the illuminated fountain. There, Charles is waiting for her with a rose in his hand.

Diana smiles, feeling her shyness getting the best of her as she approaches Charles.

Anne excused herself and closed the door leading to the garden. Before walking away, she instructed the guards not to let them be disturbed unless it was urgent.

"You requested my presence, Prince Charles," Diana teases as she approaches him.

"Yes, I did, but not for long. I don't want to keep you away from everyone," he replies, taking her hands, "You look gorgeous."

"Thank you. You look very handsome, Mr. Bond," she replies, straightening his bow tie. Her fingertip just grazed against his Adam's Apple. At that moment, he swore he felt heat in that very spot.

"Are you having a nice time?" Diana asks, bringing him back to the current moment.

"Yes, I am. Maybe later I will be granted a dance with you?" he says, looking into her eyes.

"Of course," Diana replies.

Charles looks into her eyes, sparkling like the diamonds around her neck and on her wrist. At that moment, he never thought a woman could captivate him like Diana.

"Charles...Charles....he hears her voice."

"Yes," he replies.

"Are you alright? You were staring at me like I had something in my teeth," Diana asks, concerned.

"I'm fine; your eyes...I was just captivated by your eyes, how they sparkle in the lights," he says, cupping her cheek.

Diana feels nervous as she wonders if this is the moment when Charles will kiss her. Since their first date, she's blown him a couple of kisses via FaceTime. But she has dreamed about the moment she and Charles have their first kiss.

Without a word and putting his nerves to the side, he gently kisses Diana.

Diana is taken aback as she has never been kissed before this moment. She looks at him, stunned he has been so bold to kiss her.

"You are a special woman, Diana," he finally says, his lips brushing against hers.

"Thank you," is all she can say as she tries to get over the fact that she just had her first kiss.

"Are you alright? I hope I didn't move too fast," he says, feeling like he should have let her initiate their first kiss, but he was so caught up in the moment he felt like he had to go for it.

"Yes, I'm fine; I was shocked, that was all."

"I'm sorry I should've..."

"No, Charles, it's fine," Diana says, putting her finger on his lips, smiling.

He smiles, and the next thing he knows, she moves in and kisses him.

She has the softest lips, he thinks to himself.

"I think we should get back to the ball before someone comes looking for us," Charles says, barely above a whisper, when Diana steps back.

"Yeah, we should," she giggles, "I don't know how long we have been out here."

Motioning for her to go first, he follows behind her back inside.

The next afternoon...

Charles had just arrived back in England when he was summoned to Buckingham Palace by his mother, the Queen.

After appropriately greeting his mother, she offers him a seat.

"How was your trip?" Elizabeth says.

"It was great! I had a nice time," Charles replies as his mind replays the moment he held Diana in his arms as they danced.

"That's wonderful. Although I wasn't aware you were going to Wales. Why were you in Wales?"

"Princess Diana invited me to the Cardiff Children Foundation's Charity Ball."

"Oh, I wasn't aware you were attending, nor did I know you and the Princess were close."

"No. When we met at the state dinner, we talked about the charities we patronize, and she mentioned that one. I asked her to tell me about it, and I found it a good cause to donate to," he replies, looking his mother in the eye. "In exchange for my generosity, she invited me to the ball."

Hopefully, she can't tell he's partially lying.

"Mmhmm, well, that's nice. I see from the paper here you and the Princess danced together last night. She looked lovely," Elizabeth says, handing him the newspaper.

Charles looks at the newspaper, and on the front page is a picture of him and Diana dancing together. Headline: Prince Charles dances the night away in Wales.

"Yes, she looked very nice,"

"Charles, do you have any interest in Princess Diana?"

"We're just friends, that's all." Again, another lie. He wasn't ready to tell his parents about Diana because it was still early in their relationship.

"Charles Philip Arthur George," his mother says with a smirk.

"I find her attractive, and she's a lovely person."

"Uh huh," Elizabeth nods.

"A man can't admire a beautiful woman from afar," Charles replies, a slight blush on his cheeks.

"Ok. Well, I must take my leave. I have an appointment with the Prime Minister. I will see you later." Elizabeth says before kissing her son goodbye.

"Goodbye, Mother," Charles replies, smiling.