Chapter 14: Sparks Fly ★

Start from the beginning

"Thank you, Tanner. But you know I couldn't have done it without you."

"Ehh, I'm pretty sure you could have." he teased, as I stared into his eyes. I never noticed the green amber color they held, as they twinkled under the lights.

"Could I get you something to drink?" I asked, desperate to get away from welcoming guests.

"Hmm, why not. It's not like I just helped you create an award-winning album. Not like you owe me or anything."

"Hey. I pay you," I exclaimed, as I pointed my finger directly at him. He raised his arms in defense, as he surrendered.

"Alright, alright. Let's get that drink." We walked over to the kitchen and got our drinks. We ended up sitting at a nearby table, as we began to chat.

"So," he said, as he placed his cup down. "How does it feel?"

"How does it feel?"
'You know, now that you know you can make it. You're able to create an album that the fans enjoy."

"Ah," I said, lifting my cup to take a sip of my drink. "It's comforting, but at the same time, threatening." I saw Tanner's face turn to a frown.

"Why?"

"It's one thing to make it, to have everyone enjoy your music and support you."

"But?" he asked, leaning forward.

"But, it's another thing to do it again. What if I write new music and no one likes it anymore? What if I won't be able to live up to standards?"

Tanner looked down as if he needed a moment to think. After a few seconds, he looked back up, staring directly into my eyes.

"Look," he started, as he put his hand gently on mine. "There's no knowing whether your fans will like new music. Many artists have albums that just have not received the same recognition as their older albums. But you have to remember why you started. It wasn't to gain recognition. And it wasn't to become famous."

I softly smiled, as his gentle touch comforted me in ways no one had ever before. His fingers traced my hand in circles, and he gently smiled as I began to understand.

"I started for my brothers," I said. "So my brothers wouldn't have to work so hard."

"That's right. And I found that, as long as you keep remembering that, you won't seek the approval of others of your music."

"You're right," I said, as I looked down at my hand. Sure enough, his fingers were still tracing my skin. His touch sent chills up my spine, as I felt some sort of an attraction I had never experienced in my life before.

"Thank you," I told him, as I looked back up into his eyes. He stared back, and it felt as if time was frozen.

The way you move is like a full on rainstorm, and I'm a house of cards

You're the kind of reckless that should send me running, but I kinda know that I won't get far

And you stood there in front of me just close enough to touch

Close enough to hope you couldn't see what I was thinking of

"You're welcome," he eventually responded, breaking the silence. But the staring continued, but it didn't feel uncomfortable. It rather felt safe.

"I never realized what beautiful blue eyes you have," Tanner told me, as he tucked a loose strand of hair behind my ear.

Just as I was about to respond, Maddie walked into the kitchen.