chapter six

Leighton drives up the hillside driveway to the Sullivans gorgeous Italian style estate. In her possession is a bouquet of peonies for Kendra and coffee for Justin. She parks near the water fountain and gets out of the car, flowers in hand. Once at the front door, she rings the doorbell.

The door opens. Standing there is Kendra in a light pink crystal embellished Valentino crepe minidress and pink Louboutins. "Good morning Leighton. It's good to see you."

"Good morning Mrs. Sullivan. It's good to see you as well. Justin told me that these are your favorite flowers so I stopped by my favorite florist and got these for you." She hands Kendra the flowers with a nod of her head.

Kendra accepts them with a bright smile. "Thank you so much. They're beautiful. Come in there. Justin is the kitchen with his father. I'll let him know that you're here." Leighton steps into the house with grace. As Kendra walks down the hallway to the kitchen, she stands in the foyer looking at the new Rembrandt painting with awe.

"Good morning beautiful." Justin says walking up to her, Saint Laurent backpack in hand.

Leighton smiles at him and puts her arms out for a hug. Justin smiles and pulls her into his arms for a bear hug. He kisses her on the forehead which she loves. She hands him the coffee, watching him take a long sip.

"Good morning handsome. Ready to go?"

"Almost. Let me just use say goodbye to my parents before we go." He slips back into the kitchen, wishing his parents a good day. "Okay, I'm ready to go, pretty girl."

They leave the house and get into the car, heading for school. "Last night was fun. My favorite part was us making out in your room." Aside from just kissing, they almost had sex last night. They had to stop themselves. For one, they just met and two, they're still getting to know each other.

"Mine too handsome. The debutante ball / cotillion is happening this weekend and I was wondering if you would be my escort."

"Of course I will. I'm happy you asked me."

Leighton beams happily. She's so happy he said yes. "Before we met, I wasn't even going to participate in the ball specifically because I didn't have an escort. But now I do and I couldn't be more excited."

They pull up into the school parking lot and get out of the car once she parks. This will be their first official date as a couple. Leighton has to give her official statement and name of her escort to the committee chairwoman today.

"We have arrived."

They get out of the car and go into the school. Leighton goes straight to her locker. "All of the girls and their escorts have to attend a dance practice this afternoon."

"Okay fun because I'm a classically trained dancer." Justin states.

"Another thing we have in common. I've been dancing since I was four years old."

Justin loves learning new things about this girl. She's the most beautiful person on this planet. "Now I'm really excited to be your escort this weekend."

Leighton grins.

"All of the young ladies participating in cotillion this year, please report to the office. The committee chair is here to collect statements."

She pulls a perfectly handwritten statement out of her binder. "I'll be right back. Better yet. Come with me. I can introduce you to the committee chair." She puts her hand out for Justin to take, which he does.

Not letting her hand go, Justin follows her to the office. When they get there, Leighton gasps. The committee chair happens to be none other than socialite/ philanthropist/ author Grace Elizabeth Rothschild, James's mother and Leighton's grandmother, decked out in head to toe Chanel, with Manolo Blahniks on her feet.