chapter one

THE ROTHSCHILD ESTATE

SUNLIGHT, POURING THROUGH THE colored window panes of her bedroom, casts exquisite shadows all over the sleeping bundle that is her body

SUNLIGHT, POURING THROUGH THE colored window panes of her bedroom, casts exquisite shadows all over the sleeping bundle that is her body. Her gorgeous black curls shine in a million different tones of yellow, red, and orange. However, it's not enough to wake her, not even when Rosario, her loyal Dominican maid, opens the colored windows, letting the fresh morning air in and ending the display of colors on her peaceful, curvy, sleeping body.

"Miss Rothschild, wake up. It's 6:15. You have school today."

Leighton Nicole Rothschild wakes up refreshed after the 10-hour beauty sleep she had been in. She feels better than she had felt in years; everything in her life seems to be perfect, as perfect as it ever is. She smiles pleasantly at Rosario, who is more of a second mother to her than a maid.

"Good morning Rosario. Do I have anything else to do today besides go to school?"

Rosario nods, picking up the clipboard from Leighton's desk on the other side of the room. She locates the to-do list for today and looks back up at her young charge. "Well, your mother requests that you don't make any plans to go out tonight as your father is having his new business partner and his family over for dinner tonight to welcome them into the city properly."

Leighton nods, undesirably removing herself from her stupidly comfortably king-sized bed, and strolls to her luxurious bathroom. Gleaming granite countertops, ornate square framed mirrors, a jacuzzi tub, and a walk-in shower with an oversized showerhead. Fluffy grey towels are neatly arranged along the wall right next to the sink. Her favorite part about her bathroom would have to be the heated flooring, especially when it's cold in the morning.

As she brushes her teeth, she can't help but notice how clear her skin looks. No stress, no bags underneath her eyes. Yeah, she looks and feels good. Rosario steps inside to turn the shower on as she always does.

"Thank you, Rose."

She smiles and exits the room, closing the door behind her. The young heiress loves that woman. It suddenly occurs to her that she has no time to waste so she strips out of her silk pajamas, chucking them into the laundry basket. She steps inside the marble stall, letting the steaming hot water wake her up.

The shower alone has a panel with more than a hundred options she can choose from regulating water temperature, pressure, soaps, shampoos, scents, oils, and massaging sponges. When she steps out of the shower after washing up, the heaters come on and dry her body off. Instead of having to struggle with knots in her long wet hair, Leighton merely places her manicured hand on a box that sends a current through her scalp, untangling, parting, and drying her hair almost instantly. It floats down her back in a glossy curtain. Goddamn, she loves technology.

Now, fully ready to go, Leighton walks down the grand staircase clad in a long-sleeved navy blue shirt underneath a grey uniform dress and a pair of navy blue suede boots. Today is the first day of school for the students of Rosewood Preparatory Academy. Frankly, she'd much rather spend the day doing nothing- and by doing nothing I mean sleeping the day away- but that is not an option for today. Plus if she doesn't go, she'll never hear the end of it from Evelyn, her mother.