chapter three

LATER THAT EVENING, Leighton falls back against the velvet, rich blue sofa. Her hair is bone straight, a perfect mass of onyx hair flowing around her shoulders, and her lips painted a glittery nude in Tom Ford lipstick. Her look is completed with a black and gold toned v-neck floral appliqué Marchesa Notte embroidered midi dress with sheer panelling and metallic gold Louboutin pumps. Against the Rothschild's jewel-toned family room, she looks straight out of a painting. Since she knows who's coming over for dinner, she feels the need to show out. The 75 inch flat screen television is on with Revenge playing in the background.

James, clad in an all black Dolce and Gabbana suit, makes his way down, fixing the custom made rhinestone JR cufflinks that Leighton gifted him for Father's Day (one of many gifts, I might add) on his jacket. Followed by Evelyn, who has donned herself in a sleeveless black lace panelled Dolce and Gabbana midi dress. She's coming down the grand staircase barefoot, holding two pairs of heels- some Manolo's and some Jimmy Choos. She is trying to get him to choose which pair to wear but her words go unheard because he does not care. Right now, his focus is on how mature and beautiful his youngest daughter looks this evening.

"Leigh, sweetie, you are stunning." He says to the girl who beams brightly. "Your mother is getting on my nerves. Will you please pick which shoes she should wear?"

The heiress immediately shakes her head at that. She is not getting in the middle of that mess. "Daddy, I love you dearly, but absolutely not. That has nothing to do with me therefore I am staying way out of it."

"Ugh, when did you get to be so noble? Give some of that to your mother and sisters, would you?" He turns to Evelyn who's scowling at him. "Not tonight. Evelyn, wear the Jimmy Choos. I don't even know why you always ask me to choose when you know you're going to end up putting them on regardless." At this point, he throws his hands up and calls for Madison and Athena to hurry up with whatever they are doing and make their way downstairs.

Evelyn makes her way over to the ottoman, smoothing her dress out as she carefully sits down. She doesn't like to admit this out loud but she's actually really pleased that Leighton ignores her snarky comments. She only does that to try and rile the girl up but it always fails, simply because despite her socialite status, Leighton isn't very confrontational or super flashy.

Athena comes downstairs wearing the most tightest, most shortest MACH & MACH dress Evelyn has ever seen. She's appalled, mainly because she told Athena not to wear it but clearly her words went unheard. "Athena, why are you not wearing the orange Zimmerman dress I laid out on your bed?"

The girl rolls her eyes. "Madison may agree to your hideous fashion advice but not I. Hell, I can't wear the Valentino dress I just bought because you say it's too inappropriate for family functions or business meetings, so it's either this dress or I don't partake in this dinner. Your choice, mother dear."

At the mention of her name, Madison rolls her eyes and walks down the stairs looking more regal than Athena in a magenta floral lace keyhole Marchesa Notte mini dress with pair of matching crystal embellished Amina Muaddi slingback pumps.

"Bitch, don't do that. I don't always like her advice. Do you see me following it right now? No you do not so shut the fuck up. If anyone has phenomenal taste in fashion, it's Leighton. I mean, just look. She's younger than us and looks good in everything."

Leighton snorts quietly. She knows she looks good. On one hand it's knowing where to shop and on the other hand, a lot of her clothes get sent to her, specifically made for her by the designers.

"Anyway-, the Sullivan family will be here in five minutes. Leighton, sweetie, would you like to stand out with me? Welcome them to the West Coast?" James obviously prefers Leighton to do this with him because out of all four of the females in this house, she is the only one with actual manners.

"Absolutely." You can tell she's excited to see Justin again. He had been sending her poems and book recommendations- the one that caught her eye immediately was flower crowns and fearsome things by Amanda Lovelace. The girl is so infatuated with poetry that nearly every blog she follows on Tumblr is dedicated solely for that purpose.

A silver Cadillac Escalade drives up in to the elongated driveway and parks right in front of the steps. The first person out is Justin, who has Leighton grinning excitedly. Said male is dressed to the nines in a black Saint Laurent suit with gold embellishments. Matching, I see. (Leighton may have told him what color she was going to wear tonight. Sly girl.) When the two make eye contact, he winks, making her grin.

Justin introduces himself to James, politely and well mannered as only he can be. To say that Leighton is a happy girl right now is a damn understatement. "Leighton, it's a honor to see you again. You look stunning."

"Thank you, my good sir. You look very dashing this evening. Won't you come in?"

The two enter the house together.