Chapter 5 - A Hunter's Calling

Magsimula sa umpisa

"No, I got this.", Logan instantly dismisses and I bite the inside of my cheek. Although he basically permitted me, I feel a tad disappointed to be lacking in responsibility. As if he knew beforehand what I was thinking, he already took the decision out of my hands.

The chocolate-skinned lady cheers enthusiastically and asks her partner to procure more alcoholic beverages for our table. Another round of shots is passed around before Marcus and George return to their own choices of poison. With her arms encircling Logan's bicep, the huntress begins singing at the top of her lungs. Fortunately, the loud songs from the dance floor are resonating in the club, sparing the rest of the crowd from excruciating suffering from her high-pitched voice.

The stab of jealousy I feel from watching Gwen clinging to my crush, I try to drown it with liquor. The worst part is I can't even tell Logan just how much it pains me to see him with another. I crave his attention and touch so badly but alas...hunters don't accept differing sexualities. Why are things like this? Even humans have come to embrace their feelings!

I huff before downing another shot and reaching out for yet another glass. Suddenly my partner holds my wrist, stopping me. My eyes snap to his and the hunter gives me a warning look.

"Yeah, slow down, Collen.", George chimes in, "Or you won't be in any condition to meet Jade." I shoot an irritated look at him before he adds, "It's already embarrassing enough to have Gwen squealing 20's songs." Feeling a little sheepish, I comply with his request and decide to pace myself. I cross my arms and lean back.

"Where is he though? What's taking him so long?", the blonde male asks while pouring himself a refill.

"I was stuck with some paperwork.", a dark-chocolate-skinned male with short black hair joins us, sitting next to George, who beams with a smile.

"Glad you could make it.", Logan gives a nod which the other male returns.

"You're finally here! Let me get you a drink.", the younger male offers but Jade places his hand on George's thigh, stopping him.

"Don't worry, I'll get it myself.", the raven-haired male heads off to the bar.

"What kind of paperwork, any idea?", Marcus inquires as we watch Jade's back at the bar.

"Yeah, his current score is messing with his bronze tag...", the youngest one among us reveals before sighing. "He should have become a silver-tag hunter about a year ago but he's not ascending himself."

"Why not?"

"Well—", the small brunette fidgets with his glass, slightly swirling its contents. "—if he ascends without me, we won't be able to stay partners. We belonging to two different cities is already irritating our headquarters..."

"They're not wrong, you know.", Marcus points his index finger at him while leaning back against the backrest of the couch. "Don't you two struggle with having to fly back and forth? I know you two belonged to the same high school but now you're on-field hunters. You are wasting more time traveling than hunting."

Logan hums in agreement while George just frowns.

"You know, you're not that different from Collen in this case. He's also holding Logan back.", the blonde shrugs, prompting George and I to look at each other. We both share some sort of unspoken message, mutual understanding, and sympathy for each other.

"No one's holding me back.", my partner narrows his eyes as he states. "I've already told you guys that."

"And George isn't keeping me back either.", Jade suddenly catches our attention as he returns to his seat next to the small brunette. "I just personally feel like I need more time to ascend and get tougher commissions."