Blackmail it shall be

Start from the beginning

When they finally disappeared below deck, the full weight of the situation hit Brielle, slumping down onto the steps leading to the top landing.
She dropped her face into both hands, exhaling against them.

Maeve was going to wield everything she had against them and make them pay for their disloyalty. This, she knew with absolute certainty, so much her stomach cramped. It was a blessing she had been passed out earlier or perhaps she might have had something to eat already.

No one has managed to get one up on the Fae Queen for centuries, why now would that be any different?

In the decades since she had been blood sworn, there had only been a handful of times where Maeve had shown enough emotion to display her nerves.

Pulling the letter from that inside pocket once more, the handwriting was curled more then if should and the sentences weren't all in straight lines. Has it been written in a hurry perhaps?

She knew this handwriting, had read it many times. It was always the Pride members who wrote the notes after gathering information from their division of spies. Teyra was usually very particular about hers being neat. Something wasn't right.

There was heavy steps rising onto the deck, Brielle hid the letter in her furled fist.
Rowan appeared, broad shoulders dropped with a determined expression marring his features.

He froze when he spotted her. Neither spoke.
She caught the quick attention switch when he looked across the water to the ship. Turning to look it was then she finally realised just how many of them bore the House Whitethorn flag under Maeve's own.

Brielle tilted her head, contemplating his plan. Not as ludicrous as one may think, for hers was by far worse.

It was then that Vera reappeared. Brielle's commander insignia on a ceremonial sash in hand, accompanied with Brielle's Fae forged sword. She tried to tuck it behind her back, but Rowan had already seen them.

He switched his gaze from Vera to Brielle with a lifted brow,

"What are you planning, Seseri?"

At the mention of the old language word for sister, Brielle paused. Rowan had never called her that before.

It took Vera walking closer and holding the things to her, to finally snap from the stupor.

"Something widely stupid of course" her reply almost made her laugh, but Rowan's gaze stopped her. "What about you?"

He hesitated with an answer, the air becoming lodged. "I won't let it all be for nothing. This can't be the end"

She could only take a quick second to mull over his words, it was a statement which she couldn't agree with more. Not just for Aelin and the state of the world, but she also had many things dependant on his Queen of fire. And too much planning had gone into this for it to be wasted.

"This isn't going to be the end."

She looked back to Maeve's Armada. And there was a flicker of a thought, that perhaps this might be.

Brielle took a step closer, taking the sword and sash from Vera. Rowan squinted at the objects in confusion and curiosity but still didn't ask.

"I intend to come back" his expression shifted, yielded nothing, " But if I do not, I leave you in command of my spies for the time being. They will follow your command."
A quick nod from Vera was confirmation.

"And Fenrys?"

At the mention of her mate, Brielle tried to not stiffen, lifting her chin. "He knows where I stand. We have said our good-byes before. He will understand"