Forty-Three

Sitting at your desk, all you could really do was wait for whatever the hell Gavin had dragged your partner away to do. You weren't worried, not entirely, but there was anger in the human's voice.

Cloud is probably the least offensive man I know. I have no idea what could have happened before and after this case.

Quietly, Connor leaned against the side of your desk, having changed back into his familiar gray android jacket. He looked more like himself, save for the heterochromia. ".... Detective? You have a troubled expression. I know you are trying to hide it, but..." He looked down towards the floor. "I can tell when you're bothered. Do you want to talk?"

After a moment or three with no answer, you let your head lean into your hand, using the desk for support. There were probably a half dozen things on your mind all at once, but you refused to discuss them in the precinct. "... not here, Connor," you replied tiredly.

"Then may I bring something up?" When you nodded once, the android leaned over, his voice barely heard. "... you were crying terribly, Detective. And I am... humbled that you care so much. Do you... feel better now, knowing I've survived?"

Closing your eyes, not wanting to see the android, you still had to give some sort of answer. "Again, Connor... not here."

There was no attempt to push the subject, and you were thankful for the silence. But your hand was taken into his own again, gently caressed in the quiet atmosphere.

Either you were still too tired to pull away, or you really didn't mind, though by the time Gavin and Cloud finally came back, your Roomba had let you go.

■□■□■

The closer you got to home, the heavier your body felt. Reed had to drive everyone home, a fact he didn't seem to mind, but he struggled not to watch you in the passenger seat. Your eyes were shut, close to crashing, so you were completely unaware. If the prototype duo were talking, it was all done internally; they exchanged their optical hardware again as well, while their humans weren't looking.

Once Gavin parked in the lot of the apartment complex, he leaned back against the seat, eyes closed. Everything was burning around him, and he sort of wished he could go back to a day prior. Sure, things weren't perfect, but he definitely hadn't thrown everything out the fucking window back then.

Since you'd fallen asleep, none of the men wanted to wake you. Though it was a strange sight to figure out who would carry you: Reed refused, which concerned the RK800. Connor expected his successor to carry you, but he'd suggested the human do it in the first place.

In the end, your Roomba was the one left standing, so to speak. Not that he minded, but he frowned a bit at his fellow detective, who would not meet his gaze. While he carried you, all the undercover implements were brought up by the other two.

The elevator bells were what made you stir, eyes opening slowly, struggling against the weight of your eyelids. "We're almost home, Detective," Connor assured you gently. "I will bring you to your bed. We will sort through our undercover items tomorrow; right now, you need rest. And no, I won't let you argue," he added, his smile lacing his soft teasing.

Your eyes closed again, relaxing against the RK800's body. All you managed was a noncommittal hum in response.

Behind him, the RK900 watched the two of you curiously, studying how his original interacted with and handled you. The tiniest smile crept to the corners of his mouth, but they fell once he noticed Detective Reed struggling.

It explained the interrogation, at least partially. But if this human cared so much for you, where was the affection he was showing at the precinct? Why refuse to carry you? Not that it would have mattered, not really, but Gavin had purposely refused.

Comfort Zone (Connor x Reader)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें