20. Sky full of stars | 星空

Izumi:

I didn't want to give up, so I decided to see it through to the end. I still needed to earn your trust, and I wanted to test my abilities in a challenging way.

One morning, I woke up in a good mood. You went to the station to pick up some things, and I eagerly awaited your return, making plans of my own. I tidied up the place and picked some flowers from outside the house. When you came back, you seemed slightly surprised, but you tried not to show it. It was clear that it made you suspicious.

"Finally, you've been gone for so long..." I said with a smile, getting up from the floor. It felt fake to hug you, so I refrained from doing so. In games, you need to know when to hold back.

"Why are you so cheerful?" you smirked incredulously.

"I was bored. Did you bring something?" I showed an unusual curiosity, wanting to see what was in your bag.

You pushed me away abruptly.

"No, nothing important there," you said, visibly on edge. That made my imagination run wild, painting scary scenarios of knives and other things you might use to harm me. I still couldn't understand why I was here.

"Okay, sorry," I replied, pretending as if nothing bad had happened.

You hid the bag in the closet and asked me not to touch it again. I kept quiet. Either way, I didn't really want to see what was inside. I had a feeling that if I saw something that threatened my life, I wouldn't be able to act rationally. Fear would consume me.

That evening, I pleaded with you to take a walk with me in the forest.

"Weren't you scared to go outside?" you looked at me skeptically once again.

"I've gotten used to being here all the time. Ultimately, you were right when you said that all fears are just products of my imagination. Besides, I feel sick of these walls. I really want to get out."

For a while, you looked at me in silence.

"If you decide to run away again, I won't have the strength to chase after you. There's no chance for you to escape to the city anyway. You would just get lost," you coldly replied.

I simply nodded in response.

You took out that red ribbon you usually wrap around tree trunks and tied it to my wrist. The other end you wound around your fist. It made me smile involuntarily. You really were a complete psycho.

Finally, we set out. It was already getting dark, so the forest was enveloped in a bluish twilight and a slight chill. I noticed the sound of cicadas crying. Before, it had seemed completely quiet to me. Self-suggestion.

"I actually like it here," I decided to break the silence.

But you didn't say anything. You just pulled me along by the ribbon tied to my hand.

"Why are you so silent?" I was being too talkative even for myself, but I would do anything to save myself.

"Do you want to talk?" you asked in an indifferent tone.

"Yeah, I don't mind talking," I shrugged my shoulders in response.

We continued walking into the unknown.

"Tired of ignoring me?" your voice had a hint of sarcasm. A good sign.

"Does that surprise you? I think everything is perfectly normal. I'll go crazy if I keep quiet any longer," there was some truth in my answer.

"I can stay silent for a long time and still feel fine," you shrugged.

I started to feel irritated.

"What do you even want?! It's bad when I don't talk, and it's bad when I talk! Why are you keeping me here anyway?" I blurted out all at once.