1. Field of Kites | カイトのフィールド

Izumi:

When we met, it was spring rainy season in Tokyo. I was then twenty years old. I moved in with my friend, with whom I once studied at the same school. He had recently graduated from the Faculty of Philology of Waseda University and was "in search of himself", and I wanted to change the environment and find inspiration for drawing manga, which is what I have been doing for the past two years.

During those weeks, when my friend was looking for a job, I wandered alone through the streets of Tokyo, and in the evening we usually sat together on the Skytree embankment or in an English pub in Akihabara, after which we lowered all the cash on neon machines with huge plush toys and anime figures. We were rarely lucky and most often we left with empty hands and pockets.

All this carefree pastime lasted until a certain moment.

The day my life was divided into "before" and "after".

Field of kites. That's where I first met you. You came over to help fix my kite bridle. You looked like a kitsune. Strange oversize clothes, wooden charms, bracelets on thin wrists, a silver earring, massive rings with crystals, a white tattoo on the collarbone. Tall, thin, with tousled snow-colored hair, and fox-gray eyes, the coldness of which cannot be forgotten. Then I wanted to see your face, but you were wearing a medical mask. You were shy and silent.

Later, we often began to meet in the park during the rain. This seems to be the only true coincidence in our story. This was my favorite place. Heart of Tokyo. From there, there was a view of the lake, the forest area, and the skyscrapers at Shinjuku Station. I went there to draw, and you played the flute. Then I could see your face.

Of course, I wanted to be alone, and at first I always felt some kind of tension. I knew that you were looking at me, and therefore I was waiting for you to leave as soon as possible. But soon I got used to the fact that we always end up in the same place when it rains outside.And I enjoyed listening to you play the flute. Combined with the sound of the pouring rain and the noise of the city, it was beautiful.

Hideo:

I always came to the park after visiting the doctor. I have been sick since childhood, but a few years ago my condition worsened and I wanted to spend more time alone with myself. Playing flute or just listening to music. I loved the park when it rained, and never went there when it was sunny outside.

You appeared suddenly, like a clap of thunder in the middle of a clear sky. Something happened to your kite, and it couldn't fly. For about twenty minutes I watched you try to get it to the sky. Your fragile figure looked graceful even in such a ridiculous situation. And yet I decided to come and help you. The bridle for fastening the handrail was broken, and it was not difficult to fix it. It only took four minutes. During this time, you didn't say a word.

"Looks like it should take off now," I said, handing you the kite.

You smiled as your warm hands touched my cold ones. But you didn't have time to launch the kite. It started pouring rain.

Your dress, which looked like a Japanese schoolgirl uniform (you probably bought it on Takeshita Street not far from here), quickly got wet through, raindrops trickled down your thin, pale knees, and you just stood there and looked at the lake, thinking about something.

I had a transparent umbrella with me, so I opened it and held it over you until you noticed that I was still around.

And then you began to come to that gazebo during the rain. I used to play the flute there. And watched you. You're beautiful. You draw with concentration, and the sky is reflected in your eyes. I think that's when I fell in love.

Izumi:

I couldn't help feeling that you were watching me closely. But it wasn't a scary feeling at all. More like something romantic. I began to come to the park now with the hope of seeing you again. But I didn't have the courage to speak. Every time I caught your eye on me, it was so serious that I involuntarily got lost. But soon you spoke up.

"Do you always come here when it rains?" you asked, already knowing the answer.

"Yes," I replied, a little embarrassed.

Does it inspire you? You're an artist, right? Or maybe a writer?"

"Well, something in between "drawing" and "writing," I shrugged.

"What is it like?"

"I draw manga."

"Interesting. And what is it about?" you asked, lighting a cigarette.

"Well... I don't really like to talk about it, it's better to read it," I answered honestly.

"Can I read it?" you smiled.

For the first time I saw your charming smile with dimples. It seems then that a blush appeared on my cheeks like those of anime schoolgirls in love. I became embarrassed from my own stupid thoughts. You were so handsome.

"No, it's still better not to read," I answered with a grin.

"Why?"

"It's something personal."

You just smirked, exhaling the smoke of peach tobacco.

"What is your name?" I decided to ask.

"What name would you give me?" you smiled again.

"Seriously..."

"You're the author. Give me a name."

Hideo:

You looked down at your sketchbook. A half smile appeared on your face.

"Hideo," you replied. "That's the name of the manga character I'm currently drawing."

And I liked this name.

'Excellent. That's what I'll be called from now on," I replied, pulling my knees closer to me and wrapping myself in what looked like a black kimono that I was wearing. "And what is your name?" I asked.

You bit your lower lip and looked up at the cloudy sky.

"Think about it," you replied.

I looked at you thoughtfully. You dipped your hand into the rain-drenched flower bed.

"Izumi. Your name is Izumi," I finally said.

You smiled back at me.

"Funny, we're not even Japanese. But I like it."

From that day on, we began to communicate.