~ t h i r t y s i x ~

Start from the beginning

Nandini looked behind with a jerk when she heard the sound of glass falling and saw Manik standing there with wide eyes and his tongue out and a sorry face. Looking at him, Nandini couldn't help but smile as he was looking like a big version of her daughter.

"Am so sorry, I was just keeping it here." She smiled at him and nodded in no.

"That's okay." Manik nodded and picked up the glass and kept it on the shelf again. He looked back at Nandini who was now struggling to pick up a box from the upper cabinet but was failing due to her short height. Manik chuckled silently and moved forward to help. And not wanting to startle her, he stood at two feet distance from her.

"May I help you?" Nandini looked back at him with a surprised face, as she thought that he went out of the kitchen. She then looked at the hum and then the cabinet before stepping aside.

"Which one?" Manik asked stepping at her place and picked up the box of white flour as she directed and kept it on the shelf. Nandini thanked him and passing a smile, he moved out of the kitchen making Nandini confused. She had been noticing that he isn't talking with her, nor he is meeting her eyes since the time he arrived, except for that one time when he saved her from falling. And that's so unlike him. She was feeling that something was strange with him. He was smiling no doubt, but he wasn't that much cheerful. As if something is bothering him.

Nandini was bought out of her thoughts when her phone rang, and it was her caf owner - Amba Amroliwala. She picked up the call while stirring the soup.

"Loktal are you sad?" Manik and Fab Four looked at Anahita with a surprised face while Ishita looked confused.

"No Princess, why would I be sad?" He smiled when Anahita kept looking at her tilting her head as if she didn't believe him. Manik made her sit on his lap, as he was already sitting on the floor, and kissed her cheek.

"I am fine sweetie, why'd you ask?" Anahita shrugged and started playing with the little stubble on Manik's cheeks. He would smile when she giggle as his stubble would tickle her hands. Everyone else was also busy admiring seeing this cute bond. They both were busy with their games when Nandini came out of the kitchen and picked up her bag from the sofa in the living area. Fab Four and Ishita looked at her with confusion.

"Where are you going, Nandu?" Hearing Ishita's voice even Manik and Anahita looked at her.

"Ishi Maa, actually Amba Aunty called, she asked me if I can pick up the cake because the cafe is a bit crowded today and everyone is busy. So, I am going there and will be back in an hour." Everyone frowned at her while she checked for her wallet in the bag.

"Nandini, why you will go? Don't worry, I- "

"Manik will go with You Nandini, Abhi wants to say that why would you go alone? Manik will go with you in his car, in this way you guys will be back soon otherwise this rickshaw and all takes time, right?" Abhi frowned and Cabir soon understood his intentions and so did Navya and Mukti. While Manik too knew what Cabir was trying to do, and as much tempting as it sound to have her company alone, he is not ready for it. He is not even meeting her eyes. So he glared at Cabir who ignored it.

"I alone will go, it's okay." Fab Four glared at Manik for his dumbness while he shrugged at them.

"Nahi nahi, Manik you should take Nandu too. Actually, the cafe area has no parking so she will go in and fetch the cake and meanwhile, you will wait in the car. That way, it would be quick. Children will arrive by five thirty and it's twenty past four already." Nandini looked at Manik who had frowns on his face but nodded at Ishita. She was about to deny when Ishita nudged her to follow Manik who was moving out of the house with car keys and she followed him leaving behind five grinning faces.