Part 7

Stu sighs as his eyes go from confusion and sadness to concern. He looks over at Billy's ankle... it seems to be better as Billi leans his weight on it. Then his eyes go back to Billy's neck.

"Did you get hurt? What happened?" His heartbeat is going very fast now as he speaks again in a very quiet and concerned tone, sounding very gentle and kind once again. He walks next to Billy and then he holds Billy's shoulder as he speaks. " You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to. I just want to know if you're ok."

"I don't have to talk about it?" He asks now, looking at Stu's eyes directly. There's something like hope far beyond his eyes, yet his gaze is deranged.

Stu nods his head and he smiles.

" No, you don't. But if it'd make you feel better, and if you want to open up, then of course you can." He squeezes Billy's shoulder. Stu sighs... and he speaks in a very calm and loving way "Why don't you get in. I'll start the engine. I'll drive you anywhere you want. You pick and I drive and I won't ask you any questions. I just want to get you somewhere safe, Billy. " His heart's still racing very fast as he speaks.

"Okay" Billy whispers, and nods his head more to himself. He enters the passenger seat.

Stu gets in the driver's seat.

"Where to? You decide." He is waiting for Billy to respond as he puts the key in the ignition and turns the car on. All of this time his heart is still beating very hard and his nerves are still going crazy.. Yet he's still taking in deep breaths and speaking very gently to try and make Billy feel better. He starts the car and he speaks again. "Where do you want me to drive you?"

"I don't know," Billy says, sighing. He's looking through the window, his hands in the pockets of the dark hood he's wearing. "Some small town far enough from Woodsboro is fine."

Stu nods.

"Ok, no problem." Stu puts it in drive and he pulls out onto the road. He begins to drive down and after he goes a little bit down the road, he turns to Billy. " Are you sure you're gonna be ok?" He's concerned for him and he holds his breath . He swallows the lump in his throat now and he speaks again. "You can tell me anything. I promise. Please, whatever's bothering you, just let it out."

Billy looks back at him and studies him for a moment, pondering in his mind what to do. The smartest thing to do is to say the minimum possible. The less Stu knew the better. He talks too much, and most of the time Billy finds it amusing; but if the police were keeping an eye on Stu and his house, it was a risk.

"I'll be fine. I've been fine for five fucking years by myself." He mutters. He started to shake his head but flinched at the sharp pain in his neck. "I just ... shouldn't have come back at all."

Stu's heart sinks again when he hears the pain and regret in Billy's voice. His breath catches. He stops the car for a moment and pulls over. He slowly turns to look at Billy, his eyes filled with sadness now and he looks at him.

"You're not fine, Billy. You're hurting. I can see and I can hear it. Please, tell me what's going on." Stu insists in a very calm and loving tone. There is a great deal of empathy and concern in his eyes now. "I just want to help."

Billy opens his eyes wide when Stu stops the car. For a moment Stu can see fear in his eyes, but as soon as it's there it's gone. Billy closes his eyes and nods.

"Don't stop. I'll tell you" he says in a very low voice. "I... Someone is trying to set me up. At all... Like..." He thinks about the right words for a moment. "For the new murders... That's why I need to leave now" he whispers, looking at the ground.