chapter 11

viperfoot

~~~

DESPITE THE WAY he'd fiercely defended Clearfrost against Snakestrike, the large gray tom didn't actually feel too affected by the ragdoll's death. Sure, he was grateful for her, but she'd never really been there in his life. In fact, other than healing them, she hadn't created much of a bond with any of their Clanmates, and it seemed, though everyone was sad over the medicine cat's death, it didn't go beyond the standard grief of losing a Clanmate. 

To be fair, why would there be any more? Clearfrost was rather icy to everyone, and when they had a cat as talented as Mintberry to replace her, there wasn't much concern.

During Clearfrost's vigil, when it came time to share memories, nobody really had anything too special to say. Mostly, "Clearfrost cured that really bad cold I had" or "The thorn in my paw was bugging me for days until Clearfrost put an end to it". 

Even the ragdoll's parents didn't have anything to comment on besides their daughter's cold behavior (which Featherflight tried turning into an affectionate memory that flopped miserably).

Mintberry was perhaps the only cat crying during Clearfrost's vigil. Well, supposedly, her and Ivorystar, who didn't leave her den due to her injuries, but Viperfoot felt a great deal of suspicion toward her. After seeing her kill Waspstrike (a memory he tried to think about little), he felt almost certain the ShadowClan leader murdered Clearfrost as well.

Viperfoot twitched his pelt. What if Snakestrike turns out like them? he thought. What if Ivorystar kills him like Waspstrike and Clearfrost?

When moonhigh came, Viperfoot was beyond exhausted. He hadn't gotten good sleep in days, what with witnessing Waspstrike's death, Snakestrike becoming deputy, Briarlight, and now Clearfrost. Tonight, perhaps, he'd be able to drift off.

There were few cats still holding vigil when he finally picked himself up to go to bed. Mintberry was one of them, and Viperfoot had a feeling the gray tabby wasn't going to leave her former mentor's side until the body was forcefully dragged away from her to be buried. 

As Viperfoot headed for the warriors den, Frozenpaw stood up from where she was sitting and padded over to him. "How are you doing?" She must not be too fazed by her older sister's death if she's asking about his feelings.

"As well as I can with all... this." Viperfoot gestured around him. "What is going on, Frozenpaw? Everything's getting so messed up."

He didn't mean to do it, but all of a sudden, he was telling her about everything. About Waspstrike's death, Snakestrike becoming deputy, Briarlight, and Clearfrost. She listened intently, and after he got it all out, he felt a million times better.

Frozenpaw shivered. "So... you saw Ivorystar kill Waspstrike? Really?"

"Shh, keep your voice down," Viperfoot whispered. "I don't want anyone to hear."

Frozenpaw nodded. "Sorry. But- I just don't understand- why would she-?"

"He was challenging her a little too much," Viperfoot replied, then flicked his tail to the deceased medicine cat. "As did Clearfrost."

Frozenpaw frowned. "That's crazy."

The large gray tom sighed. "I know, you don't have to believe me. I know it's crazy. I know I sound like a liar."

"No- no, I believe you, I just can't believe..." Frozenpaw was stumbling over her words as she stared out into the night sky. "Wow. You're right. Everything's completely messed up."

"It's all connected to the Great Secret, it's got to be," Viperfoot sighed. "We need to find it, Frozenpaw."

The white apprentice nodded toward Mintberry. "Why don't you ask your sister?"

Viperfoot blinked. "Sorry?"

"Why don't you ask Mintberry?" Frozenpaw repeated in a softer voice. "She knows, doesn't she? She must be feeling very stressed, with Clearfrost's death, and her knowledge of the Great Secret puts her in immediate danger. She must be very scared, too."

Viperfoot jumped, realizing something. "Frozenpaw, what I just told you now - if Ivorystar finds out that you know she killed Waspstrike - she'll kill you, too." He suddenly had a horrifying vision, where it was Frozenpaw's body laying in the middle of the camp, weeping cats sitting around her corpse rubbed with mint leaves.

Frozenpaw was a constant he had in his life. He could deal with living without Clearfrost, but certainly not her. Just talking to her now made the pressure on his chest lighten. Quite suddenly, Viperfoot understood Snakestrike's infatuation with the white-furred apprentice.

Frozenpaw let out a small laugh. "Don't worry, it's not like I'll go around spreading the news. I'll keep it to myself, I promise."

In the moonlight, her amber eyes twinkled with her laugh, reminding Viperfoot vividly of the golden hour during a sunset. They looked very pretty, and he felt an urge to give her ears an affectionate lick.

And then he jerked backwards, mentally slapping himself. Great StarClan, what was I thinking? I must be really tired.

Frozenpaw was looking at him weirdly now, and so he pressed a relieved smile onto his face. "Okay, good." 

He suddenly realized how awkward it was, him and Frozenpaw, gazing at each other, neither cat speaking in the chilly, leaf-fall night, in the same clearing occupied by a dead corpse and his grieving sister. He then realized how close their bodies were, but couldn't make himself scooch away. To be fair, Frozenpaw didn't move a muscle either.

Viperfoot cleared his throat. He had to say something, but for whatever reason, despite his earlier exhaustion, he didn't want to suggest going to sleep yet. "So, when's your Warriors Assessment?"

"Hmm?" Frozenpaw asked; she seemed to have blanked out when he asked the question, only refocusing now. "Sorry, what was that?"

"Your Warriors Assessment," Viperfoot repeated, feeling his pelt heat for StarClan knows why. He's never felt self-conscious around Frozenpaw before; she was one of his best friends, after all. Asking questions like this is perfectly normal. "Is it coming up?"

"Oh yeah, should be," Frozenpaw replied. "In a couple weeks, next moon at the latest. Brooklight wants to- she wants to get my assessment done soon. You know, with her kits and all."

"Right, that makes sense," Viperfoot agreed, though he couldn't quite piece together what exactly Frozenpaw was saying. She smelled faintly of a lily flower that grew somewhere in the pine forest; it'd always been one of his favorite scents, as the flower's name connected to his mother.

Great StarClan, he must be tired to be thinking these crazy things.

Frozenpaw seemed tired, too. Her eyes were glazing over. He really should suggest that they get some rest.

"We should probably- sleep," Viperfoot meowed. "I've got um- dawn patrol tomorrow morning."

"Oh, right!" Frozenpaw's ears flicked. "Sorry for keeping you up."

Viperfoot shrugged. "I'd say the same. Thanks for listening to me rant."

Frozenpaw smiled. "Of course, what are friends for?"

The two tapped their noses goodnight before parting off to their respective dens. Viperfoot collapsed into his nest immediately, feeling his heavy eyelids fall shut without his coaxing. Too much had happened recently, and he let himself sweep it all away in a dream.