chapter 5

snakestrike

~~~

THE SOUND OF RUSTLING from his left caught Snakestrike's attention, snapping him out of his nap. His ears flicked with alertness at first, but relaxed when he saw it was just Viperfoot, who'd shifted onto a twig. His brother had a look of anxiety painted over his face.

He's nervous because he broke a rule and left camp, Snakestrike concluded. Doesn't want to get caught.

He'd had half the mind to turn Viperfoot in, but in the time Viperfoot had left, he'd fallen asleep. So as long as Viperfoot doesn't tell on him, he'll keep quiet, too.

It felt like dawn would never arrive. When the pale light finally beamed from the treetops, accompanied by the silhouettes of the dawn patrol and their previous mentors, Snakestrike felt an urge to yowl with relief. 

Sandstrike made his way over to Viperfoot immediately, tapping the large tom with his nose, releasing Viperfoot from the vigil. "Good job guarding the camp." When Viperfoot didn't reply, simply shifting with unease, a restless look in his eyes, Sandstrike frowned. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," Viperfoot answered quickly.

Snakestrike would've scoffed if he was allowed to make noise. Goody four-paws. He's so nervous about getting caught for breaking the rules.

"I'm just tired," Viperfoot finished in a calmer voice.

Sandstrike nodded. "I know what you mean, I felt like I could sleep for a million moons after my vigil. Come on, I'm going back to bed, and we can go find you a nest."

As Viperfoot trotted off, Snakestrike turned his attention onto Foxstorm, who still had yet to release him. The ginger tom was originally heading toward his former apprentice, but had been distracted when he spotted Brooklight on the dawn patrol.

"Brooklight!" Foxstorm meowed, tail-tip twitching. "What are you doing? You should be resting."

"I'm fine, Foxstorm," Brooklight replied, her blue eyes bright with affection. Snakestrike didn't know when the two had become mates, but he supposed it wasn't much of a surprise. "Clearfrost said I was okay to continue with my warrior duties, remember?"

"But dawn patrol? That's much too early, it might harm our kits," Foxstorm fretted. Snakestrike never took his former mentor as an overbearing father, but for some reason, this didn't come as a surprise, either. Foxstorm was always a protector, whether that be of his Clan, mate, or future kits.

Not that Snakestrike really cared. All he wanted was for the ginger tom to come release him so he could go to sleep. Plus, it was Brooklight's apprentice that he was more interested in, admiring Frozenpaw as she stood beside her mentor, jaws parted in constant yawns.

"Our kits are fine, Foxstorm," Brooklight purred. "Everything will be okay." She gave his ear a lick before moving to join the rest of the patrol, Frozenpaw on her tail.

Finally, Foxstorm padded over to Snakestrike, tapping his nose to the gray tom's fur. "How was the night?"

"Great," Snakestrike replied, shaking out his pelt. "It got a bit windy at times, but other than that, it was okay." He nodded at Brooklight. "Congratulations, you're going to be a father."

"Yeah," Foxstorm meowed proudly, puffing out his chest. "I can't wait."

Snakestrike gave him a tired smile. It was weird, conversing like they were equals rather than mentor and apprentice. "I think I'm going to go get some sleep, I'm exhausted."