Chapter 9

Ahh lovely. I looked in the mirror. God do i have chicken legs! I clicked the heels of my cowboy boots together. My Cream floral tank tucked in the front of my jeans. Clark walked with me downstairs to her car. We got in and drove away. it was only 4:30 but we had to be there early. Host rules. My dad was bringing me my guitar later when he came. I rolled down the window when my favorite song came on, Cowboy Cassonova came on. It wasnt real country but still. We pulled into the dirt road and parked in the back. I got out and put my aviator sunglasses on.I heard a couple wolfwhistles. I got sound checks and stuff. I went and talked to the bull riders, some were pretty cute. But, I could only look.

     Clark pulled me aside, "Hey, I really like Scott."

      "Okay, what do you want me to do?"

       "I don't know, I want to sleep with him." she said. My mouth fell open.

     "You want to what?!?!?" I screamed. Clark threw her hand over my mouth, "Shhhhhhh!"

      "Sorry" I mumbled.

     She let go of my mouth i shrugged my shoulders. I heard my name so I walked over. I walked by the cowboys and they all hooted and whistled. I shouted, "You wish!" They all shouted "ohhhh!" I winked and made a kissy face. God, I loved this job. Danny was coming later so I had some time to be by myself.

   "Can I have a Small lemonade?" I asked pulling out my wallet.

    "Sure thing." The lady said behind the stand. I got my lemonade and walked back to the ring. I sat there for a bit. I got tired of the boys coming up to me and acting like jerks so, I walked up to the pavilion. I stopped half way up the hill and stopped to lay down. I looked up at the sin and then my phone to look at the time. It was 5:30. Show starts in a half an hour. I should get down there. I started walking down the hill. It turned into a run cause the hill was so steep. I got down and ran into Clark.

     "Woahh!" she hollered. I hugged her.

     "I love you so much!!!" I screamed. I saw my dad, I waved at him and he winked at me. Someone handed me a microphone.The speaker came on, "Cowboys and girls, welcome to tonight's rodeo and charity concert afterwards. I hope we all have fun. Turn off them cell phones and I'd like to welcome barrel racers, bestfriends, and your hosts tonight, Clark and Sadie."

    We walked out. people were cheering and clapping. "How ya'll doing?" she asked. I waved and I heard some wolf whistles. Great. We went over to the railing and sat on the top.

    "Well folks, is 6:15 and time for your bull riders." I said. I didnt feel like talking. The first 10 rode and then we wed talk to one.

    "So whats your name?" Clark asked.

    "Darrell Stevens. Glad to meet you."

   "If there was one thing you could tell us what would it be?" I asked. I looked out and I saw Danny and Scott.

  "Well speaking of that, Would you be my girlfriend Sadie?" He said.

  I straightened up in shock. Danny stood up. Oh god. I thought to myself.

 "She already has a boyfriend!" I heard someone yell. Im really hoping they don't fight over me. But it was Derek who said that.

  "I'm her boyfriend." Derek said.

   "Uhh no your not. I'm sorry Darrell I already have a boyfriend." I patted him on the back.

  "That's fine. It was worth a shot." He said.

   "I am too your boyfriend." He said. I saw Danny coming to the rescue.

  "Derek stop." Danny said.

   "Well folks, that was Darrell Stevens."Clark said butting in, I patted him and shook his hand. Darrell got off and walked away. THe rest of the evening was tense. Finally, we were done and we hiked up to the pavilion. Everyone was already up there and my dad was up on the stage.

   "Thank ya'll. This one is for my only daughter, Sadie." He said. The music started up and the lights dimmed. I recognized it. It was Thrillbilly. A smile grew across my face. I almost started laughing. After my mom and Dad got married they moved from Tennssee to Texas then I was born. My dad shirted his head motioning me to come up. I loved to sing this song when I was a kid. I climbed on the stage. In unison my dad and i sang. "That's Thrillbilly! Real Hillbilly, That's Thrillbilly."

   I started laughing. My dad continued singing. People were smiling. I always knew how to do that. After the song I gave my dad a hug. The rest of the night I spent sitting at a tablr. Clark was walking up to me. "Get your scrawny cowgirl butt up there and sing. I told everyone you were singing tonight!"

   "You what? I don't even have my guitar!" I shouted.

   "I threw it in the truck just in case."

 Clark hefted me up and pushed me to the stage. There were 2 groups before me. I decided to go with The way i loved you by Taylor Swift. I was waiting my turn while Clark was attmepting to give me a pep talk. Which wasn't working. It was my turn finally. I walked up on stage. My chicken legs shaking. Everyones eyes had fallen on my body. I walked up to the mic and I started playing. I noticed Danny. His arms were crossed and his face had a curious look on it. I started singing. I felt my body go limp and I got into it. People were dancing and it felt like the world was spinning. After singing i got a round of applause. I walked towards my dad and I told him I wanted to go home. He gave me his keys since Clark drove me.

             I walked down the hill. I stopped at the ring. I stood in the middle of it. the wind blew a warm breeze through my hair. I heard the howling cyotes. The moon bright. The night life singing music. People dont realize this is peace. I walked to the truck and i got in. I drove sleeplessy to my house. It felt like a day before I was home. I pulled into the drive. I parked the truck go out and walked into my house. I closed the door behind me. The house was partailly dark I walked up my stairs. I kicked the door open and walked straight to the bathroom. I jumped in the shower and soaped up. I got out and put on shorts and a neon yellow sports bra.

    I ran downstairs and got out the Moose Tracks Ice Cream and ran back upstairs. I sat down on my bed and I turned the T.V on to The beverly Hillbillies. I heard a car door outside. Must be Mom and Dad. The door opened. There was no "Hey kid we're home" I walked to the door. I opened it and walked out to the hallway that overlooked the whole house. I saw Derek in the entryway. I ran to my dad's room. Alcohol reeked in the house. I called my dad.

    "Daddy it's me." I whispered.

    "WHy are you whispereing?"

    "Dereks in the house daddy. I'm in your room loading the gun. I'm scared."

   "I'll be home in a couple minutes. Load the gun and walk out there and show him whos boos butt don't shoot it."

    "okay daddy." I hung up. I finished loading the gun. I cocked it but i turned the safety on so even if i did pull the trigger it wouldnt shoot. I heard someone out side the door.

   "Sadieeee. Don'tt you wanna come out to play??" He said in a slurred voice. I opened the door and pulled the gun up. he stared at me in shock.

   "Get out of my house." I growled. "You have no bussiness being here."

   "That's a nice bra you got there. It would look nicer next to your bed."

   "You're a disgusting perve." I spit at him.

   "You wouldn't shoot me." His voice sounded like nails on a chalkboard.

    "Hell, you touch me I will shoot."

   "Then do it." He walked a little closer to me. He closed his eyes and put his arms out. I tightened my grip on the gun.

   "Alright. I will." I said coldly.