Chapter 3

I took Jujubee over to Scott and cut him off. He looked up at me, "What was that for?"

   "It's before a race let her be. She needs to focus."

   "Fine." She slapped Jujubees butt and she took off running.

  "Woahhh girl." I pulled the reins and she stopped. I galloped back to Clark and we walked the horses over to the begining gate. Our moms came running up to us and handed us our microphones since we were the hostesses tonight for the last part of the rodeo. The lights went out and the announccer came on, "Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm proud to introduce your hostesses. These two girls both barrel race and started when they were 8. They've been best friends since they were born. And now Sadie Weirly and Clark Robertson!"

   The lights turned on instantly and our gates opened and the gunshot fired and we did the opening barrel race. I rounded the last turn and in the corner of my eye i saw Scott.at the ending gate i stopped Juju and Clark stopped Lu. I hopped off and grabbed the microphone from the pocket on the saddle, "How ya'll doing tonight!" I screamed. The crowd whooped and Clark and I put our arms around each other and walked over to the rail and sat on the top bar.

   "I'm Clark and This is Sadie, when we host we only have One rule."

  "That rule is, There are no rules!" I said.

  "So, if you want to talk to us about something go ahead, anything you want. Were gonna have fun tonight right!" Clark spoke.

   "Well our first rider is our youngest, shes only 6 and shes been around horse well for 5 and a half years. She competes nationally but loves her hometown of Dallas. Heres Naiomi Rodgers!"

 The gun shot went off and the gate opened. Thats basically the first half hour. than we moved onto the Broncos.

   "I don't know about you Clark but I love watching the broncos the most."

  "Why is that sadie?"

   "All the cute boys!" I stood up and winked. The crowd started laughing and someone came up to me with a piece of paper and whispered to read it.

  "Well Floks we got a letter actually a request. Here we go. Dear Clark," Oh god is this is what i think it was?I continued. "The first time i saw you was at dennys. You were wearing shorts and cowboy boots and your legs, man they're hot." The crowd bursted out laughing. "C'mon guys let me finish." I looked back at the piece of paper, "Your an awfully pretty girl, and I want you to be my girlfriend, Love, Scott!" I started screaming and i gave Clark a hug. Scott had another microphone and said, "Well whats your answer?"

   "Sure!" Clark replied. The crowd went BONKERS. We watched the broncos and Scott joined us on the rails. I hope ya'll have a nice evening now, and if you want we have a free concert afterwards up at the pavilion. Bye folks." Clark said. We hopped of the rails and walked towards the gate where Jujubee and Lulu were wating for us. Derek had met me and Clark at the gate with icecream cones. Mine was my favorite chocolate with sprinkles and Clark had vanilla cinnimin cone.

  The rodeo was almost done so i went and i loaded Jujubee and Lulu up in the trailer so after the concert we could just go home and Clark was spending the night at my house tonight. Since I had finished early I walked over to the pavilion and sat down at one of the tables. All the decorations were set up and the concery performer equipment. It was dead silent on that hill. The cyotyes were calling to the moon, but no answer. The dark blue sky and the stars looked like spilled milk accross the sky. I guess thats why they call it the milky way. Since I live out in the country theres no light polutions, I see everything as it is. thats not a gift. It's a blessing. I thought to myself. I realized I didnt need what everybody else had the "brands" or Material objects. I have my best friend, my horse, my parents, and a home to sleep under. isn't that all a man needs to live?

    A hand touched my shoulder and i looked up and it was my dad. He looked tired. He pulled the chair out and I ckimbed in his lap like i used to when i was little and not almost 6 feet tall. I resembled my dad more than my mom. I have his red hair and his blue eyes. My mom is quite the little shorty and my dad is almost 7 ft tall. The lights were twinkling in the pavilion and my dad had on his Brooks and Dunn T-shirt with blue jeans and cowboy boots. I always looked up to my dad.

     "You were a real cutie tonight. that's what everyone is saying. People here just love you ever since the first time they met you. Your presnce is just sparkling." my dad told me. i punched his stomach.

   "Dadd, I dont try to. I just can't help myself I like entertaining."

     "I also heard that you and that Derek boy are dating. Is this true?" he said in a stern voice.

    "Might as well start cleaning Papa's old shotgun." I said. my dad bursted out laughing. I got up and started dancing around. "Hey since theres all these instruments up here, what the heck?" I said. I grabbed an acoustic guitar and played a familiar tune my dad used to play me on his.

     "I can't believe you remember that."

   "I can't believe you taught me to play "ThrillBilly"." I said. I set the guitar down because I could see people walking up the hill. Clark ran up to me, "Where have you been!!"

   "I was up here, goofing around with the insturments. The real question is, Where were you and who with?"

   Clark started laughing and we sat down at a table. The band started playing, and Scott came up.

   "You mind if I take her for a bit Sadie?"

    "Ya. It's fine, I'll just. Stay here and be all lonely. But go its fine." I said all dramatically.

  "Okay. See you later loser." Clark said smiling.

   Derek came and asked if I wanted to take a walk. I accepted. I got up. The next thing i know is Derek is carrying me fireman style through the dance floor yelling, "I have Saved the Fair Maiden!" I was laughing and people were smiling at us. He plopped me down in the grass.

    "Thank you Sire. My favorite part was the descend to the ground. My butt kinda hurts now."

    "I'm happy to olbiged." He said. A slow song started playing through the speakers and Derek put his hand out. I kindly grabbed and attempted- and failed to pull him down to the ground. He pulled me up. We slow danced. Derek is probably almost as tall as my dad maybe an inch or two shorter so my head sits on his chest. It felt like one of those perfect moments. The Stars twinkling and the moon our spot light. The wind, a gentle breeze through the warm texas air. After the song ended I looked up into his chocolate brown eyes.

    Then I heard Clarks voice calling mine over the Speaker i ran to the pavilion and Derek was trailing me not to far behind. Clark was there standing on the Stage holding my Acousitc guitar from home. People were chanting "sing"

     "Wanna Do a song with me sweet cheeks?" Clark asked.

     I screamed sure and climbed up on the stage. I took off my hat. Put the guitar starp around me and strumed all the strings.

     "This one is really special to me. Its called, 'Are you gonna Kiss me or not' " Clark said.

      I stepped up to the other Microphone and started strumming. There was no drummer with us. It was just me and my girl. I noticed Derek and Scott together talking at one of the tables. I looked up and smiled. Ever since I used to sing on stage at the concert here with my daddy, I can't not do sing up there. After we finished people cheered and the party concert turned into a slow ballad concert so Clark and I escaped back to the truck and drove back to the stables. We unloaded the horses and headed back to my house.