Chapter 12

Khushi looked so beautiful in her lehenga sitting next to Siddharth. Now, she had gone all shy and kept looking down at the striking white cloth. Wonder if her neck is strained. Quite opposite to what the condition was back in the room.

'Meera, am I all packed?'
'Check the pins. I don't want the bun to come loose.'
'MEERA.'

I move towards her to sit beside her. With a hug, she begins to calm down. I gently hold her chin and move it towards myself and signal a deep breath.

'Relax, Khushi.' I say moving my hand up and down reminding her to take a breath.

'You are marrying Siddharth. He is literally the one guy that can tolerate you and the fact that you are marrying Siddharth just makes it this much easier for me to let you go. Baaki if he ever irritates you toh bata dena hum jijaji ki khatidaari kar denge.' I say nudging her and she giggles a bit.
[I will see him myself.]

'Stop crying now or you'll ruin your makeup and all these hours would have been for nothing.' Wiping her tears with the tissue, I reapply some of Kohl.

Their pheras bring me back. Pakhi Aunty is not here, for some reason, the mother of the groom is not advised to see the pheras. She had to sit this one out. I personally have never seen any sort of logic in this. How can a mother be an evil eye on the wedding of her own son? Anyways, Arjun stood beside us as we showered flowers on the couple.

'Aren't they looking beautiful?' He says

'They are. Just made for each other.' I say looking ahead.

'Are you all packed?' I ask, this time looking at him.

'I am. The train is early morning tomorrow.' He says now looking ahead. A lump forms in my throat inevitably. Never did it occur to me that we would be so close to each other over such a short time. Sometimes, I think what if it's some stupidity or I am actually feeling these waves of emotions? How can I be happy, nostalgic, sad, and supportive at the same time? He is leaving and I am not going to hold him back neither is he going to. That's what is so attractive about him, the way he is so dedicated to his work.

                                                                 .     .     . 

In the blink of an eye, the wedding was over. She was now a married woman. It was the time to send her off but how? She hugged Maa and Maa broke down. After all, she was sending off her daughter.

'Apna khyaal rakhna.' She says as she cups her face.

[Take care of yourself]

I look towards Siddharth and he has his eyes wet as well. I nudge Arjun, diverting his attention to him. He also needs support, his life also take a turn tonight.

'Shaant hoja, aana toh hai hi parso wapas' I say as I wipe her tears and cup her face. She hugs me in an instant and it becomes difficult to hold onto my tears.

[Calm down, you are coming the day after tomorrow only.]

The car was here as she began to calm down. God, don't let me push her in the car. She gets in the car and out of sight on a whim. She has a new life now.

At the end of one function, my mind started running off in the other direction. I certainly couldn't accompany Arjun to the station. His mother was going to be there. In that case, I would make him something. His favorite Gajar ka halwa. The problem was I didn't know how to but who better than Maa?

'Maa, how to make gajar ka halwa?'

'Halwa, haan. For whom?' What am I supposed to say to her? I could do nothing but just shy away and look away.

It sure was difficult and tiring but it was worth it. The day still wasn't over and h was here outback.

                                                                  .        .        .

'Here.' I say as I present the bowl of freshly made gajar ka halwa. He had an obvious expression of confusion marring his face. I bring it up to his face.

'I wouldn't be able to accompany you to the station tomorrow. Not that I don't want to, I do but it's just that aunty is going to be there and then it is going to be awkward and I...' I stop as I feel his hands over mine. I smile at him.

'I made halwa for you.' I say forwarding a spoonful towards him. We sit in comfortable silence as he finishes the dessert.

'Music?' I ask forwarding him an earphone. He takes hold of it and I lean my head on his shoulder.

Saagar kinaare

Dil ye pukare

Tu jo nahin toh mera

Koi nahi hai. 

A/N

Do let me know how you are liking the story. And ofc the chapter.