CHAPTER 1:THE MESSAGE AND ORDER

Start from the beginning

"You know better then anyone,Nusrat bano,father comes every two months,but it's never enough.Since I have been able to make sense of things mamu-jaan has been the father I've played with and grown up in his arms." I looked at her,a smile forming on my lips,"I was lucky enough that you shared mamu-jaan with me,so that I could also experience the love that my siblings would get by my father."

Nusrat bano put a hand on my back,"It was never a question,we have always been sister's." She held onto her duppata making it right as they came to the women's entrance to the darbar,"Let's see what today brings us."

We entered the women's side of the darbar,stopping to greet Nusrat bano's mother,Naseera begum.

"Adab,ammi-jaan."

"Adab,mami-jaan."

Naseera begum hugged Nusrat bano before hugging me,"Come sit."

"Jee." We took our seats next to Naseera begum and ammi-jaan.Khaazra set my duppata behind me,as I turned to look at ammi-jaan.

"The Mukhtar of Silharbadh is sending a proposal of his son to Hajjat Fort?"

Ammi-jaan smiled,blinking her eyelids as she gestured towards the door,"The messenger is outside the darbar,waiting to give bhai-jaan hazari.Mukhtar Aalim Khan had mentioned to bhai-jaan about wanting to form a relationship when they had met at Agra Mehal."

I saw the manner in which ammi-jaan gazed at me,as if she were trying to gauge my reaction.I put a hand on ammi-jaan's hand and gave a slight squeeze.

"Ammi-jaan,if the proposal were to be for me I would have to refuse, respectfully.Hafeeza bano has still not married,so how can I agree to get married?"

Ammi-jaan shook her head,displeasure displayed in her eyes,"You do not have to wait for Hafeeza Bano to get married so that you could get married.They do not matter in this fort."

I chuckled softly as I squeezed her hand again,"It matters to abbu-jaan so it matters to me and to you,ammi-jaan.Even though you may act as it does not."

Ammi-jaan huffed at my words pulling her hand away,tugging at her kameez,"You are your father's daughter,you know very well how to twist my words."

I smiled,shaking my head before standing up as an announcement sounded.

"Mukhtar Jahangir Alla saab is entering."

We all greeted mamu-jaan as he made his way to the seat at the head of the room.He greeted back,taking a seat which everyone followed.

"I hope everyone is in good health.Let the proceedings of today's darbar start."

The head advisor,Karim Khan stood up,"Mukhtar saab,there is a messenger sent from the Mukhtar of Silharbadh,Mukhtar Aalim Khan."

Mamu-jaan gestured towards the door with a open hand,"Present him."

The guard near the door,gave the messenger permission to enter,upon entering he raised his hand in a greeting.

"Adab Jahangir saab.I have brought you a message from Mukhtar Aalim Khan saab."

"Present the message."

The messenger unrolled the scroll he held in his hand,holding it up as he begun to read out what the scroll had written on it.

"Mukhtar Jahangir Alla saab ko Aalim Khan ka salaam.
As we have discussed before,it would be an honour of Silharbadh if we were to form a relationship with your family.After discussing with my haram,I propose the hand of my son Abed Khan for the hand of Mukhtar Jahangir saab's daughter,Nusrat bano.
If you accept this proposal,it will be an honour on my family."