"Really?" I look up. "You must think this is funny, don't you?"

A bunch of somethings land in the center of the coil. A glance and all I make out are thin off-white cylinders.

"What are you doing?"

"Getting you ready for your adventure."

"Rich. Whatever you're playing at ends now. Pull me out so I can go home. It's going to be dinner time when I get there already. Any later and my dad is going to ask Base."

"Based isn't going to say anything."

"He's going to tell him he can't find me, which will tell my dad I left. He's not going to care how I did it. I'm grounded, so I'm not supposed to leave Base."

"I guess he's going to have to learn to be disappointed," Rich answers with a chuckle.

"No, he's going to be pissed. Now pull me out."

"Can't do that."

I roll my eyes. "I'm pretty sure you can do whatever you want."

"You got that right."

"Then pull me up!"

"Not doing that."

"Rich, this isn't funny."

"Look, this is your chance to find out what this place is. I'm not going to take that away from you."

"Take it away then. I don't care."

"I do. I'm sure there's a way out, somewhere. This used to have tones of entrances and exits, back before the system. Some of them have to still be around, right? You're a resourceful guy. You'll find a way."

He turns and walks out of sight. "Oh, and Dennis. Happy birthday, since I don't think I'll be seeing you again before that happens."

"Rich!" I wait a few seconds. "Rich! Get back here and pull me out!"

He's fucking with me, again. This is just like when he vanished in the forest. Only this time I'm not going to act like some scared kids. "Rich! You fucking asshole. Get back here so I can kick your ass!"

I pick up the rope and look at it, I can probably use it to get myself up there.

Reinforced Hemp Rope, 5 meters.

Perception Check failed

I look up at the hole. That's definitely more than five meters.

"Rich!"

I look around. A wall in a place like this will have bunched of hand holds, right? Even with only eleven as my climbing skill I can manage that and not break my neck.

Right?

"Rich?"

The only surface I make out at the edge of the circle of light moves away from the whole, and as far as I can tell, it's just more moss.

Send the rope to my inventory and pick up one of the cylinders.

Chemical light, 2.5 hours

Perception Check: Failed

Five of them. Enough to last me through the night.

I swallow the lump. That's just part of him messing with me.

"I'm not scared, Rich! You're wasting your time!"

I'm really am not scared. They go in my last inventory spot.

I swallow the lump again. It's almost as if he knew what I could store.

No. It's still just him...

He's messing with me.