"Don't leave Base," Dad says as I get up from the table after breakfast.

Like that's even going to be possible. I doubt Grandpa Louis did more than scold Base for telling me about the orders before I was inside, but Base is going to be on his best behavior. I won't be surprised if the gates close if I so much as look at them.

I won't do that. It would annoy those who need to cross it.

Josie runs to join me. "Glad to see you're out of the doghouse."

"For all the good it's doing me. I'm grounded. I can't step outside of Base."

"Means you don't get stuck on cleanup duty."

"I want to do cleanup," I grumble. "I want to do something."

"Have you chosen a class?"

I glare at her. "What's the point? My dad probably picked it for me."

"You really think he'll do that?"

"Base?" I call.

"Your father hasn't narrowed it down to one," Base replies helpfully.

"See?" I sigh. "How do you get your folks to let you go out and have fun?"

She chuckles. "Probably by not going out and putting my life in danger when I'm told not to. Did you really fight a Drakoling?"

"Fighting's a strong word. It kicked my ass, then grandpa saved it." I look around and lowered my voice. "I also fought a Ramthom one on one."

"How are you not dead?" she looks me over as if I'ms a ghost.

"I was—" I did promise I wouldn't mention Rich was in town. "I got rescued, again."

"Your dad knows?"

"I you kidding me? I'd be in my room until the system vanishes if he knew. He'd force me to take something like latrine cleaner as my class just to be sure I never went anywhere."

"That's not a thing," Base offers.

"Then whatever horrible other class that would force me to stay here."

"You can be a guard," Josie offers. "You'd get to fight in the waves, and when some monster gets too close. It's what I'm going for."

"No, I can't." I raise a hand toward the closest speaker.

"William has removed all combat classes from those Dennis can choose," Base says.

"He can do that?" she asks, stunned. "I mean, could my mom just come to you and tell you what I can choose?"

"No," Base replies. "Only the commander can give orders I can't disobey."

I chuckle. Base is very creative when it comes to finding ways not to disobey Grandpa's orders.

"So your dad told the Commander what to do?"

I shrug. "You do remember the Commander's my grandpa, right?"

"Shouldn't he take your side, then? My grandfather's always on my side when there's a dispute."

I shrug, then notice where our steps took us and consider turning around.

"I should head to the front," Josie says, noticing where I'm looking. "Unlike you, I might not want to do cleanup, but it's how I can help. See you later today?"

"Sure," I reply, looking at the command building.

"Do you want to come in?" Base asks. "You should at least look at the list of classes."