“What are you doing out here?”

“Checking up on you. I don’t trust that blood sucker. Why are you out here? I thought you were staying with him.”

“We broke up.”

He furrowed his brows and looked at me. I guess it does sound insane since I chose Demetri over him.

“It just wasn’t going to work out. He’s a royal and I’m a peasant. You do the math.”

“So now what?”
“I was hoping I could go back to your group. But if you don’t want me, I completely under…”

I was cut off as Caesar took me into a tight hug, making it hard for me to breathe. The familiar smell of dirt and pine filled my nose.

“You’re always welcome back.”

I then remembered what he said yesterday. He confessed his love for me. I’d completely forgotten.

“Caesar,” He released me. “did you really mean what you said yesterday?”

“About?”

“When you said you love me.”

He became silent. Maybe I was hearing things yesterday. It’s possible. My brain was probably trying to make me think of happy thoughts to take away from the pain.

“I admit that I have strong feelings for you. You’re beautiful, Strong, caring, and sweet. I wouldn’t exactly call it love just yet, but I really do like you. This doesn’t affect our relationship does it?”

“No. But if you don’t mind, I would like for us to stay friends.”
“Absolutely.”

We began walking and I was happy to know I have someplace safe to go. Hopefully Demetri won’t worry.

“So why did you leave?” Caesar asked me.

“It’s complicated.”
“Really? Your vampire boyfriend takes you back to his palace and saves you, then suddenly you leave the next night. How much could have happened in that short amount of time?”
I sighed and rolled my eyes. I know he’s just curious, but I don’t know how he’d react.

“Demetri finally decided to tell his father about us.” I started.

“That’s good right?”
“Let me finish. His dad doesn’t like that. It’s against the law for a royal to be in a relationship with a peasant. Also, Demetri is engaged to someone.”
“What? And you still went back to him?”
“He doesn’t want to be engaged to her. But his father doesn’t care. He was going to put me in jail until further notice.”
“Which is translated into forever.”
“Exactly. Demetri and I agreed for me to leave. As long as I’m gone the king won’t care. He’s not going to come after me.”

“So your not broken up?”

I don’t know what we are. We’re split, that’s for sure. But are we actually broken up?

“Call it what you want.” I answered.

“So you could move on?”

“Caesar, we have an agreement.”

“I know. You can’t blame a guy for trying.”

~*~

We got to the pack and my legs felt like jelly from walking so much. We went into the boarding house where I stayed and sat on the couch available.

“Where is everyone?” I asked him noticing how quiet it is.
“They went for a run.”
“How did you get out of it?”
“Said I spotted something at the palace and was going back. Of course they let me go.”