✨ unmedicated and thriving ✨

Setting: Kris's House, Calabasas, CA

Kris was really trying to bring Demi back to life. The way that the younger girl moped around her estate was a cause of great concern, especially since she had begun court mandated therapy. Wasn't therapy supposed to make things better? Wasn't it supposed to make her happier? Demi moved through the house but she never smiled. She frowned into her chicken chili. She cried next to the jacuzzi. She took depression naps in the movie theater with Law and Order SVU playing in the background. Kris had had enough, especially since her grandkids were such frequent visitors. The last thing she wanted was her happy babies picking up on the vibes of a depressed teenager.

Her first plan of action was getting Demi on a set schedule. She graduated from school early so that was out of the question. They had started negotiations for her to return to work but they were taking forever, awaiting an evaluation from her psychiatrist. And besides the girls that Kendall and Kylie brought over, Demi really didn't have a lot of friends. So Kris thought if she put her on a schedule and gave her things to look forward to that would help. And one of those things were her early morning workouts. As soon as the sun was up, Kris was up and on her treadmill. And now she expected the same from Demi.

"Morning sweetie!" Kris greeted with a wide smile as Demi trudged into the home gym dressed in all black. Kris had made her gym a sunroom of sorts so that it felt like they were working out right outside.

"It's six in the morning," Demi grumbled as she followed Kris over to two of the eight treadmills. Kris dreamed of a full family workout but until that happened, she had Demi.

"I know but this is a really good way to start your morning. It really gets me going," Kris said as they turned their machines on. Kris instantly put her machine on a 3 while Demi settled on a 1.5.

"I wasn't even ready to start my morning," Demi mumbled as she placed her sunglasses on her nose.

"But it's always good to work out and not take it for granted, sweetie," Kris grinned at her as Demi continued at her slow pace. "You can get on the treadmill everyday, but not like that. Pick it up!"

"I'm exhausted. This is miserable," Demi said as she swept her bangs out of her face.

"Well...if you don't do it now you're not gonna do it," Kris said as Demi pushed her glasses further up her nose.

"You yelling in my ear is not enjoyable," Demi complained as Kris rolled her eyes.

"I'm not even yelling, sweetie."

"Oh my gosh, it's hot. You don't have AC in here?" Demi questioned as Kris shook her head and looked over at Demi, who had managed to decrease her speed.

"You have to turn the speed up or you may as well just forget it," Kris lectured as Demi rolled her eyes behind her glasses.

"Alright, I'm gonna forget it," Demi said, completely ending the workout and bringing the treadmill to a stand still.

"No, you're not. Then you're gonna continue to mope around the house and be in a depressed mood," Kris said, still going on her treadmill as Demi rested her head on her arms.

"What are you on?" Demi groaned as Kris shrugged. She wasn't going to let a moody teenager ruin her morning ritual.

"I'm unmedicated and thriving," Kris answered.

And for the first time in a while, Kris heard a raspy giggle escape Demi's lips. And then she smiled a little bit because even if Demi wasn't following through with the workout, at least she got her to smile.