Ghost: No Strings Attached

Warning: No comfort

Words: 1.445

Reading time: 6 minutes

~ angst ~

You had seen it happen to many others before. A few of your friends, in movies, in books. Falling for the person they weren't supposed to fall for.

But how hard could it be? A no-strings-attached situation with someone you had known for a while.

Surely you wouldn't make that same stupid mistake. Would you?

No. This feeling couldn't be that. It's just.. you being nervous from the fact that you shouldn't be sleeping with your lieutenant in the first place.

That's just it. Isn't it?

But now, as he sits in front of you, his eyes locked on yours with a lazy expression, you realize how easily you slipped into that same mistake you had called others stupid for so many times before.

He warned you before this all started, not to get feelings, not to grow attached. But how could you not? The man was nothing but alluring, some sort of personalized hard drug made just for you.

His hand rests on the table near the glass of bourbon that you made for him. No ice, as always, as you paid attention to the details of what he liked or not.

Over the past few months, you two had grown closer. Just on a friendship base, but still, you couldn't deny the fact that you two just fit each other, even just platonically. You could handle his snarky comments, his aversion to touch at certain moments, his need for space. All of it.

Things had started one day after a night out with the team. You somehow ended up in his bed after some useless arguments, because that's all you did before you two found yourselves in this situation. Arguing all the time. The whole situation honestly reminded you of an enemies to lovers book.

Neither of you had planned for this to go on as long as it has. But it felt good, always having someone to fall back onto without having those real responsibilities, even though you were always there for him if he needed something. Someone.

He told you from the start not to expect something from him, because he knows he can't give you what you need. And you know it too, that he has issues that go deeper than just some short conversation to just get over it. You knew from the start you shouldn't fall for him.

And yet you failed.

You couldn't save yourself from slipping away into those feelings. You couldn't help yourself from falling for those deep brown eyes, from putting yourself in this awful situation.

When you first noticed it, you decided not to tell him. Maybe it was just some stupid crush, because you've had those many times before. Maybe it'll go away soon.

After a while, you couldn't pass this on as a simple crush. Though you weren't set on telling him anytime soon. Not today, not in the near future.

But now, the way he looks at you in your dimly lit apartment has a pit appearing in your stomach. It's as if he knows already.. Like he can read you as easily as a warning sign. His gaze nearly forces the words out of your mouth, even when you know he doesn't want to hear them.

You want to speak. You so badly want to tell him how you feel, and how it has been tearing you apart inside. How you know that it's such a bad fucking idea but that you don't care. That you want to try for him.

But the moment he leans back, locking his eyes onto yours again, you know you don't have to tell him anything anymore.

He sighs, somewhat frustrated. "Don't tell me..."