𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟖

Start from the beginning

I nodded, feeling my cheeks burning with embarrassment. I can't believe I just let her believe that Alex and I have something going on. My face must give away my thoughts because Sofia bursts out laughing.

"It's cute that you think you can keep secrets from me," she teases, reaching over to poke my arm. "I know everything about you, Princess. I'm your personal handmaid, after all."

I roll my eyes, pretending to be annoyed, even though I secretly like the attention. "Yeah, yeah," I say, waving a dismissive hand in the air. "Can we get back to the makeup, please?"

"Alright, alright," Sofia chuckles, turning back to her work. "I just wanted to have a little fun."

I take a few deep breaths, enjoying the moment of reprieve. It's not often that I'm able to relax and just be myself around someone. But with Sofia, it feels like I can. She always brings out the best in me, and I feel grateful to have her by my side.

I turn back to the mirror, my breath catching in my throat when I catch a glimpse of myself. I look like a completely different person than the one I was just a few moments ago—more polished and put together.

"Have fun dress shopping," Sofia tells me before giving me a hug. From this proximity, I can smell the coconut-scented perfume she has on. Her hug feels motherly—a warm comfort I never knew I needed.

My arms drop to my side after she releases me, and I head out the door. But as soon as I open the door, I jump at the sight of Alex, almost bumping into him.

My eyes widen when I realize he probably heard everything. How could I forget that he was outside my door? "Alex!" I squeak nervously, my voice sounding breathless. "Hi. Sofia and I were just talking about... things."

We stare at each other for a moment, my face turning beet red as he looks me up and down with an expression that is a mixture of amusement and curiosity. His head tilts slightly to the right, and a sly grin plays on his lips. "Am I one of those things?" he teases, and I feel my cheeks redden even more.

"No!" I protest, feeling my heart pound in my chest. He seems to be enjoying my embarrassment, and I narrow my eyes at him. "Why are you making that face?"

He shrugs, his grin widening slightly. "What face?"

"You know, that face," I reply, trying not to sound as flustered as I feel.

When I first met him, he didn't seem like a very emotional person, and he was very intimidating. But now, I can't help but feel drawn to him, and he certainly has a way of making me blush without even trying.

Alex raises an eyebrow at me, and I can't help but feel even more embarrassed. I don't even realize that I've been glaring at him until he starts laughing. "I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable," he jokes, a hint of remorse in his voice. "I apologize."

Even though his apology is sincere, my heart is beating so fast that it feels like it's going to jump out of my chest. I clear my throat and look away, unable to meet his eyes anymore.

"Shut up," I mumble, looking down at my feet. I can't see my face right now, but from the way it feels like it's burning, I bet I'm bright red. "Let's go already."

"Of course." His tone switches from teasing to professional and stoic alarmingly fast. With no more words being said, he takes my hand and leads me outside of the palace to the limo.

˚ʚ ˚✧.

We arrive outside the Provonias Roma wedding dress shop quickly, and Alex opens the door for me, letting me walk out. As soon as I step inside the store, the aroma of fresh flowers and exotic perfumes fills the air. The main showroom features an impressive selection of wedding dresses, with each garment displayed on a mannequin or hanging on a delicate silk screen.