𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟕

Start from the beginning

But she's not convinced. Her blue-green eyes, as dazzling as the ocean waters, stare deep into my own, searching for any tell that would prove me wrong. She's not an easy woman to lie to, and I know that. I'm tempted to say something to get her off my back—to tell her what's really going on—but I can't. Not yet.

Princess Elena looks at me for a few seconds, evaluating me with those brilliant eyes, before narrowing them in suspicion. "Really?" she whispers.

She steps closer to me until she's almost in my face now, and I struggle to keep my breathing steady. I can smell her sweet scent—like roses mixed with fresh bread. My heart's practically racing at this point; the blood is pumping through my veins so fast that it feels like it's trying to make its way out of my body.

My heart skips a beat when her hand delicately brushes against my abdomen, the fabric of my shirt being the only thing keeping me from feeling her skin. I can't help but flinch in response. Even though it doesn't hurt, the soft touch of her finger sends shockwaves all throughout my body. I don't know if she can feel my heart racing like a horse. I don't know if I want her to, either.

But the burning sensation shoots back inside me when she presses on it, letting a pained grunt slip from my mouth. "Damn it," I groan, flicking her hand away and replacing it with my own.

"I thought you were fine?" the princess mocks, shooting me a judgmental look. Her eyes are narrowed at me now, examining me closely.

"I lied. I have no idea why I lied," I reply with a sigh, rubbing my abdomen where she had just touched it. I've never been hurt quite like this before, and I'm not a fan. "I just need some fresh air."

Princess Elena pauses for a moment, analyzing my words and my behavior. I hate that she can see through me this easily. I hate that she can make me feel so vulnerable—so small—and I hate that I let her.

Eventually, she nods silently, and I'm glad it's over. I don't know what I was afraid of. "Fine," she says softly, looking more concerned than I would have expected.

"Go to sleep," I advise her, pushing her back gently with my hand on her shoulder. After a moment's hesitation, I add, "I'll see you soon," and turn to walk away.

The princess doesn't say anything else as I leave, but I can't stop myself from looking back—even though it hurts my pride. When I turn around, I catch her standing in the same spot, staring after me with an expression I can't quite place. It's somewhere in between sadness and concern.

The sight of her like that makes me reconsider my decision to leave without a word, but what am I supposed to do? I've already said what I needed to say, and she gave me her answer. I can't just stick around and wait for her to change her mind.

I take one last look at her, watching as she disappears into her room, and then I turn away for good. I have to get to Camille, no matter what. I need to know the truth.

The palace guards let me pass through the doors without an issue, and I quickly made my way to my motorcycle. I don't even bother putting a helmet on as I take off on my bike at full speed, my body hurting from the sudden adrenaline rush. The wind whips in my hair, and my hands grip the handlebars tightly as I race through the streets of Rome. I don't care about the rules or anyone trying to stop me.

˚ʚ ˚✧.

Eventually, I make it right outside my old apartment with Camille. It's a very luxurious apartment—with stately marble columns, ornate details, and intricate window work that reflects the style of the city. The color of the building is a soft white, accentuated with touches of warm gold and yellow.