𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟕

Start from the beginning

At first, I take everything she's saying in without a second thought. I start to lose all hope of ever finding out who's behind all of this, but then I realize what she just said. My eyes light up when she mentions a blonde. She just gave me a lead.

Camille?

"A blonde girl? Can you describe her?" I ask, trying not to show too much excitement at this news. She's given me my first genuine clue to the identity of the shooter. I need to know more.

The handmaid shakes her head, meeting my gaze with regretful and tired eyes. "I didn't get a good look at her. I was in a rush, you see. I had to deliver some messages to the king."

"Of course." I sigh, taking the cue. "But you thought it was weird seeing Prince Marco with an unknown girl?"

"Yes, I did," she confirms, starting to wake up fully now. She's beginning to realize why I'm here and what kind of stakes are at play.

"Was anyone else around?" I inquire, desperate to know if she's seen anyone else who could have been responsible for the attacks. "Someone who might have recognized her?"

She shakes her head again. "I'm not sure. The halls were empty when I saw them. I'm sorry, Mr. West; I wish I could be more helpful." The confusion and exasperation are clear on her face. She truly doesn't seem to know anything more than what she's shared with me, and I believe her. Still, this is enough of a lead to go on.

"It's alright," I assure her, taking a deep breath to steady my heart. "You've been very helpful. Thank you." Instead of waiting for her to respond to my gratitude, though, I walk out of her room without another word. I don't have time for this.

I need to get to Camille.

My legs are walking as fast as they can, even though I am injured. My abdomen hurts like hell, but that's the least of my worries right now. I'm not looking forward to seeing my ex either, but I need to know if she had something to do with this whole situation. After all, she's a bitch, and murder is certainly not above someone so narcissistic.

"Where are you going?" A delicate voice stops me in my tracks, but I have to force myself not to turn around. Looking into Princess Elena's eyes would make me stop anything I do in a heartbeat, and that's not something I'm willing to risk at this moment.

I swallow a lump in my throat, biting my lip as I think of a way to respond. The only way I know how to do it is by firing back with a question directed toward her. "Why are you up?"

Even when trying my hardest not to steal a glance at her, I can't help it. During a moment of weakness, I turn around, only to see her lips curve into a slight smile while she takes a step closer to me. I notice how her nightgown flows like silk in the air, accentuating the curves of her body. My pulse picks up faster than it should, and I have to force myself to stay calm.

"Does it matter?" she counters in a soothing voice, her eyebrows lifting slightly. "Where are you going?" Her voice is hypnotic. It's like she's a siren trying to lure me into her clutches. I try not to allow myself to be hypnotized, but it's hard.

She's irresistible.

"Just going out for some fresh air," I mumble, lowering my head so she doesn't see the lie I'm telling. More like a half-lie, though, since I am technically going outside.

"You're injured." I can hear the frown in her voice even when I'm not looking at her. I have to force myself to look down—to not get caught in those mesmerizing blue-green eyes of hers. It should be a crime to have that much power over someone.

I grit my teeth and clear my throat before responding to her. "I've been better. But I'm fine," I assure her, trying to sound as stoic as possible. I don't want her to worry about me. My torso throbs, and I clench my fist to try to stop the pain from spreading further. "Seriously. I can manage."