Chap. 1: Something Lost

It was spring break and Alex was in Bar Harbor, Maine for his brother, Nick's wedding. Nick had asked Alex to be his best man right after he and Jenny had gotten engaged. Now it was the long awaited day and Alex was in charge of the rings. The dressing rooms were filled with emotional women, shoes, makeup, and some uncomfortable men. Alex watched the time tick closer and reached into his pocket to double check that the rings were there before the wedding started. His hand came up empty. He searched all of his dress pants pockets then his jeans pockets as well. The rings were gone. "Shit!" Alex cursed and then he began tracking down his brother. He grabbed Nick, pulled him aside, and said quietly, "Nick, don't blow up, but I may have lost the rings." He said it quickly, hoping to get it over with, just like a band-aid. It took a second for what Alex had said to register but when it did the look on Nick's face was murderous.
"You had one job Alex, don't lose the rings. But you couldn't even manage that, could you? This is my wedding day! Do you have any idea how bad Jenny is going to freak when she finds out that her wedding ring, the one that we designed together, is missing?"

"I know, I know, and I'm sorry! They're here somewhere- "

"But you don't know where?"

"Right...."

Nick glared at Alex and said, "You better find those rings quick or if Jenny doesn't kill you, I will.".

The maid of honor walked in and said, "Jenny is ready to go and we've got five minutes, you might want to start lining up."

Nick and Alex glanced at each other in panic, "What are we supposed to do about the rings?" Nick whispered to Alex. He looked thoughtful for a second before an idea hit him, "Nick, I'll go and grab a pair of fake rings off of one of the tables in the dining hall where the reception will be held and we'll use those for the actual wedding then I'll find the real ones during the reception. Jenny won't be able to freak out because you'll be in front of the audience and busy getting married!"

"It'll have to do, but if it costs me my wedding night tonight, I swear I'll kill you myself. Got it?" Alex swallowed and nodded, then ran to the dining hall to grab some rings. He made it back with a pair of plastic rings just in time to line up. He slipped them in his pocket and then walked the maid of honor down the aisle and stood next to his brother.

He watched his brother's eyes tear up as Jenny stepped out on her father's arm. She was a beautiful bride, and he was truly happy for his brother even if he was a little jealous that Nick had found someone to love him the way that Jenny did. The "I do's" were said and it was time to trade rings. Alex pulled the plastic pair out of his pocket and handed them to Nick. Nick then slid one of the rings onto Jenny's finger and she looked down at it and glanced back up at him with a question in her eyes. He whispered, "I'll explain after.", so that only she could hear. Jenny took the other ring and slid it onto her new husband's finger and the pastor pronounced them man and wife.

As soon as they all made it back down the aisle Jenny started asking questions. She rounded on Alex the second she found out that her ring was missing. "You lost my wedding ring?" She asked with a dangerous tone in her voice. Alex panicked for a second before he promised to find them and return them as soon as possible, and Nick did what he could to keep his wife from killing his brother.

The wedding party moved to the dining hall to greet the guests and get the reception started, but Alex began his hunt for the missing jewelry. He tore apart both of the dressing rooms and searched his car in case they'd fallen out there. He swept the hallway between the dressing the rooms and the rooms themselves, desperate to find what he'd lost. He invaded the kitchen and asked everyone if they'd seen what he was looking for.

By now Alex was hot and sweaty from his fervent search so he went to the bathroom to splash his face with cold water to cool off and clear his head. He shut the door and looked at himself in the mirror, "think you idiot, what did you do with them? They couldn't have just disappeared!". He growled at himself in frustration and leaned down to splash his face with the ice cold water. As he stood back up something caught his eye on the mirror. It was something glinting from the back of the toilet. He walked over and picked up the missing rings. "You've got to be kidding me. This is where I left them?"

I'm an idiot! I took them out of my pocket before using using the bathroom so that they wouldn't fall out and get lost, but then I forgot and they ended up lost anyway!

He walked back towards the dining hall where the reception was and made his way towards the newlywed and the wedding party table. An idea hit him as he was halfway there and a mischievous smile lit his face. He walked up behind Jenny and got her attention, then got down on one knee and held out her wedding ring to her. He adopted a dramatic tone of voice and said, "Jenny, I know that I'm a little late, but what you say we ditch this loser, and get married? You and me, I've always loved you and I can't stand to see you forever with this guy here!". The entire wedding party was sitting in shocked silence until Jenny took a good look at the ring and realized that Alex was just messing with her. She giggled and took the ring, "I'm so very sorry Alex, but I've already agreed to belong to that loser for the rest of my life. It looks like you're out of luck.".

Alex then knelt in front of his brother, and held out his wedding ring. Alex started to say something but then Nick cut him off, "Dude, if you propose to me, I'll punch you in that pretty face of yours.". The table laughed and Alex stood back up and took the chair to the right of his brother.

"Duly noted."

"On another note, where did you find the rings?"

"Believe it or not, they were exactly where I left them."

"And where was that?"

"You probably don't want to know." Alex smiled at his older brother who simply nodded. The reception continued without a hitch. The happy couple danced, they cut the cake, and the bouquet and garter were both thrown. Soon enough Alex was saying goodbye to his brother and his new wife. On their way out to their beautifully decorated getaway car, Nick pulled Alex aside.

"It's your turn next baby brother."

"For what?"

Nick smiled and handed him the pair of plastic rings that they used instead of the real ones. Alex stood shocked while looking down at the little pieces of plastic trying to comprehend what his brother meant. There was no way Nick was serious. "You aren't-" but Nick was already halfway to his car with Jenny. "Well then. You always knew how to make an exit didn't you?" Alex said to himself.

"Are you talking to yourself?" Someone asked from behind him.

****
Soooo.... What did you think? Please let me know! I'd love to hear from you guys! If you liked it and are looking forward to the rest of the story then please VOTE, COMMENT, and share if you feel like it, but definitely the first two <3

Who do you think is behind Alex?
Dun dun dun!

Love you guys!

Xoxo
-C