Chapter Eleven: Roughing It

Start from the beginning

"Yes, Mr. Hamilton, I've come on my own. My father died about a year ago, and since then, my mother has sold our family business to support us. We unfortunately had to sell all the horses on our ranch, but we're getting by. Either way, I never planned on staying there. I've always wanted to see the world."

Normani's father chuckled deeply.

"Well, what does your sweet mother think of you running off on your little trip all by yourself, then?"

I smiled back at him, finally feeling at ease in the conversation.

"In truth, she's quite glad about it. Her family is originally from these parts. She even has some distant relatives nearby. I promised I would visit them before I returned. Her father raised her to be very independent, as she did me."

Mr. Hamilton took all my words in without changing his expression.

"What do you do for leisure?" he probed, clearly trying to get to know me.

"Well, back when we still had all our horses, I loved ridding horseback. But I would have to say that my favorite pastime is reading in my father's library."

"Reading in your father's library, you say? So you are literate, I take?"

I couldn't help but smirk. "Yes, sir. In both English and in French. Though I'm more familiar with the Canadian dialect. My father got me the best education that was available."

Normani, who had been standing next to me, suddenly lit up. "You speak French? My mother was from France. Since my sister wed and moved away, I've had no one to speak it with," she said excitedly.

I turned to Normani with a smile, charmed by how cute she was. "Je serais plus qu'heureux de parler en français avec vous," I said with expertise. I do actually speak French fluently. I took it in school and made plans to learn pretty much every French swear word and insult in existence.

"Très bien, merci," Normani responded with a grin.

Turning back to Mani's father, I said, "As I told your daughter, I cannot promise you that I will stay forever. However, I am a very hard worker and can stay for some months until you find a permanent replacement. Herford is a nice town. I would not mind staying a while and getting to know it."

"Good, good. You seem quite suitable," Mr. Hamilton expressed sternly. "You have come right in time. As you know, I am in need of a fine servant as Molly has just left. She will be moving up to Yorkshire once she weds, so here we are. The duties will be split between maintaining the house, which is immediately behind the inn, and helping in the inn itself. When working in our home, you will report to my housekeeper, Mrs. Clark. Working here, you will report to either me or to my daughter. I can pay you three schillings, six pence a week. Is that satisfactory?"

I nodded. "Fine, perfect. I do, however, have one question."

"Go ahead."

"Are lodgings included? If not, do you know of a room I can rent somewhere nearby?"

"Well, in the house itself, no. Molly lived just up the street with her parents, so she did not live with us."

Normani then interjected, "Sorry to interrupt, Father, but what about the old gamekeeper's cabin?"

Mr. Hamilton quickly nodded. "Perfect. My property, along with the park adjacent, was once part of a larger estate belonging to the Leeway family. At the far end of it, about a half mile back, is a small cabin. It used to belong to the gamekeeper that they once employed. However, I personally do not employ a gamekeeper, so it has gone unused. The cabin itself is sturdily built and remains in good condition. How about I let you stay here, and we adjust your salary to three schillings, three pence a week? If that is not satisfactory, I believe Mrs. Currie has a room to..."