Chapter One: An Old Photo

⚠️ A/N: Please read this chapter again, even if you already have! I accidentally left out the first half. Everything should be good now!

Once again, this fic is not mine. All rights go to the original author Quitting Time. Please remember to like and leave a few comments as y'all read. Appreciate y'all! 🤍

...

Omniscient POV

Beyoncé was in the second month of her first year abroad when she stepped into the antique shop that would change her life forever. Having recently graduated high school, she'd won a scholarship to attend a prestigious performing arts school named Broadlands College. It was located in a small community, called Herford, located just outside London.

Things were going well. She'd settled in her small flat over a bakery, and after spending her time doing school work, she would frequently explore the town, a town that prided itself on its small town feel, being located so close to London proper.

On a particular Sunday afternoon, she wandered into an antique shop located downtown. She'd hoped to find something to decorate her rather plain flat with. It was a small shop packed with old furniture and lamps from floor to ceiling. Beyoncé wondered just how they could fit so much in.

During this visit, not much caught her eye. An antique end table did, but once she saw the price of 300 pounds, her interest quickly waned. She only had about 55 pounds to spend.

"Nothing caught your eye yet, Miss?" said the old shopkeeper in a cockney accent.

"No," Beyoncé responded, sounding a bit frustrated with a shake of her head.

"Are you looking for something specific?"

Beyoncé shrugged. "I'm just decorating. Seeing if anything pops."

The man nods.

"Well, just let me know if you need any help," the man said, leaving Beyoncé to her devices.

Eventually, Beyoncé wandered over to a table with a sign that read: "Newly Arrived." She was just about to turn away, when suddenly, a small photograph in a gold frame caught her eye. It was a very old picture of a young woman in a long black dress, her entire torso on display.

The photo  caught Beyoncé's eye because she had never seen a woman of this time so exposed

The photo caught Beyoncé's eye because she had never seen a woman of this time so exposed. The dress was unlike any other she'd ever seen. The picture was clearly from over a hundred years ago. But somehow, the woman's dress seemed like a modern twist of the style of that era. What an eye for fashion she must've had.

Beyoncé would have put the frame down, if not for one thing: the woman's face. It was the most beautiful face she had ever seen. Her skin was dark and appeared to be smooth. She had high cheek bones, perfect lips and a set of dark eyes that caused Beyoncé's heart to beat like a roaring drum. The student found herself unable to look away.