"So, Theia, my daughter wrote to me and said you were with Nyx. She said she caught you two in bed after they came home to you drunk on the couch. You two are back together, then?"

Theia coughed, the sip of wine going down her esophagus. Her eyes snapped to Nesta, who leaned back lazily in her chair, eyes narrowed. Nesta was the last person she expected to speak up about them.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean for her to see us-."

"My bedroom door was closed and Zenova invited herself in to tell me something. It was an accident," Nyx interrupted, glancing to Nesta before returning to stabbing his roast with a fork. Theia swallowed, looking between them.

She didn't know that Zenova was saying things like that to her parents. She didn't even apologize to the girl. Disgust ran through her. That was something she had long forgotten.

"Mm, and what about being drunk on the couch? I don't think my daughter should be introduced to things like that when she has just begun her own life. She still has things to learn," Nesta retorted. Theia wanted to curl into a ball and roll beneath the table. She opened her mouth to respond, but Nyx beat her to it. His fork clattered to the plate as he turned his head to his aunt.

"No offense, Nes, but you're her mother. I doubt the few times she has met Theia introduced her to anything different than what you've shown her. She reads the books you have, she's been to Rita's, and Cassian is her father. If anything, I have taught her far worse-."

"Cauldron, Nyx. I was just testing you, I have no issue with Theia, but I'm glad to see you're willing to stand up for her," Nesta grinned, plucking her wine from the table and bringing it to her lips. Theia's shoulders fell as she let out a slow breath. The teasing in this family was going to put her in an early grave.

"Don't target Theia next time you pull that shit," Nyx spat. His hand returned to Theia's thigh, squeezing lightly. She leaned into the touch, her lips forming a shaky smile. Nesta snorted.

"I'm sorry, Theia. I just wanted to make sure that Nyx protects you."

Nyx scoffed at the same time Theia muttered a quiet, "It's alright."

Silence hit the table, making it entirely too uncomfortable. Nyx refilled Theia's wine and his own and she almost had to bite her cheek to stop herself from laughing at the awkward tension.

"Okay, well, how about drinks in the sitting room before we leave?" Feyre suggested, scooting her chair back with a tight smile. A few murmurs agreed and chairs began to move. Theia grabbed her wine glass as the plates all left, and then stood with Nyx. He slid a hand to her lower back, his thumb moving against her skin. The touch made her skin burn. She leaned into him, letting him lead them from the dining room.

Rhysand, Nesta, Feyre, and Cassian walked ahead of them. She could hear the loud clicks of Mor's heeled shoes behind them. Theia stiffened when a rush of cold ran over her right side. Her head snapped over to see Azriel walking beside her. He paid her no attention, just simply walked beside them with his wine glass in hand. As they walked into the sitting room, the group all moved toward the chairs. Nyx held Theia back, his hand slipping beneath the fabric of her dress to rest against her bare waist.

"I'm sorry. I don't know what the fuck is going on but I won't stand for them treating you like this," he murmured in a low tone. Theia forced a smile as she looked up at him.

"Their actions are not your responsibility. I understand, they don't like me after everything that happened. I don't hold it against them or you," Theia responded. Nyx sighed, his head dipping down. His lips and beard grazed her cheek, making chills run down her spine.

"If I hear one more word against you, I'm committing treason," he whispered against her ear. Theia grinned as she hid her face in his shoulder.

"You can't say that," she murmured with a small laugh. His breath was hot against her ear.

"I can say anything I want." He could, and he would. Theia just decided that she wouldn't do anything that would encourage anything negative from them. It didn't seem to matter, they found something to say.

As if his entire family didn't stand in the same room, Nyx's mouth dropped to her shoulder. Theia let out a breath when his lips grazed against her exposed skin and up to her neck, where they left a slow kiss. Her hand went to his stomach, fisting the neatly tailored fabric there. How badly she wanted to forget this night and hide away in his bedroom.

"Are you announcing it tonight?"

The deep voice made Theia gasp, her head snapping up to see Azriel standing beside them. His hands were in his pockets, his eyes to where Nyx pulled his lips from her skin.

"Announcing what?" Nyx snapped. Azriel's lips curled on one side.

"The wedding, of course."

Theia stiffened, her hand slipping down Nyx's stomach. The muscle in Nyx's jaw rippled as he looked at the Shadowsinger.

"What wedding?" He responded. Theia almost let herself feel the pang of disappointment that he denied their engagement, but they hadn't wanted to announce it yet.

"She wears no jewelry besides a ring that I've never seen in the city, so I assume it came from the family collection. She has a blush of a female who's in love, and she clings to you in every interaction. The moment I mentioned a wedding, I saw both of you get tense. I assume that means you're hiding an engagement from us," Azriel responded, his eyes dropping to Theia's hand. She was quick to slip it under Nyx's arm, gripping his jacket.

"We are waiting to announce it. My parents are aware and have given their blessing," Nyx spoke through gritted teeth. Theia didn't understand the anger that came from him, but surely it had to do with the night Azriel had cornered her. A shudder ran through her at the memory, of the way he felt against her back. She swallowed thickly, pressing her cheek into Nyx's shoulder. Azriel's eyes snapped to her, a grin appearing.

"Why wait? It'd be the perfect night to announce it. You surely look like an engaged couple, and Theia looks ravishing in your mother's dress."

Why? Why would he continue to mess with her when Nyx had her? Why did he even care to? Surely he had other things to do than terrorize the heir and his bride. With the way Nyx's hand slipping further down her gown, fingers tracing the fabric of her undergarments, and the way his body stiffened against her, Nyx was done with it, too.

"She's going to look better when the gown is on my floor tonight. It doesn't matter when we announce it, she will be my wife, and your High Lady. What's your plan here, Az? Do you want her? That's her choice. I don't fucking understand why when you could have anyone else," Nyx snapped, though he kept his voice low enough to not carry across the room. Theia nearly gasped at the tendril of shadow that ran the width of Azriel's throat when his eyes narrowed on Nyx.

"I don't have a plan, Nyx. I was complimenting your bride and asking why you haven't announced your engagement. Is there something you're concerned about? Concerned enough that I can't compliment her without you stopping me?"

Theia desperately craved the sweet taste of wine. This was too much. Too much for one day, too much for what she still had to face. A low growl rumbled in Nyx's chest as he moved to step forward, but Theia leaned herself further into him. She turned them so her back was to Azriel, her wings blocking the males' glares. She looked over her shoulder, meeting dark eyes that sent chills down her spine.

"That's enough. I'm marrying Nyx, we will announce it when we are ready. There is nothing more to it where you're concerned, Azriel."

His eye twitched, a shadow ghosting over his cheek before he lifted his chin. It was like a mask, like she had placed, that slid into its spot. Azriel's menacing look changed entirely to cool indifference. The tension in his shoulders fell, his lips lifted into a small grin.

"Enjoy the night, I'll see you in the Court of Nightmares."

With that, he turned and stalked back to the group. Theia sighed, risking the look of the pigment on her eyes as she pressed her face into Nyx's shoulder and breathed him in deep. Even with his scent cooling her skin and warming her belly, Theia couldn't help but feel like this was all something she needed to fix on her own.