CH.2

The Border City, Faltra, was a beautiful place with a gentle, temperate climate, blessed with the fortune of a nearby river that ran across the edge of its walls. The citizens of Faltra live in relative peace, performing all of their daily commutes as if the world outside was quiet and safe.

However, there is only one stronghold acting as this town's protection against the Fallen — powerful monsters created to serve the ancient Demon Lords. The name of this safe haven is the Bridge of Ulug, which serves as an important defence against potential invading forces.

To the West, in the Man-Eating Forest, live the Fallen. They hide and scheme within its natural, protective walls, where the human races are too weak and scared to traverse. All who have attempted to reach the inner forest either die, or return from the Fallen's home on the brink of death.

The bridge protects the town from any monsters that emerge from the forest, and provides the guards of the Bridge of Ulug with enough time to prepare defences.

♦ ♦ ♦

Momonga stood curiously in front of a wide, stone bridge that stretched across a sizeable river. Standing beside him was the Pantherian, who had recently introduced herself as Rem Galleu, and Shera L. Greenwood, a passionate Elf who is horrible at telling lies, from what he understood.

He did not think screaming that your name "totally has no relation to the Elven Royal Family" was a good method to hide your true identity. However, at the same time, he did not think Shera would bring him trouble, so long as she tried to hide her name better from the locals in town.

Momonga checked the nearby grassland to his left, and then to his right, before moving toward the stone bridge. Rem and Shera followed closely behind him, their eyes filled with anticipation and concern, which earned them a girls a momentary glance from Momonga as he walked.

'Nothing in this world looks like YGGDRASIL, not even the character designs'  he noted as he continued across the structure. The clear skies provided a gleaming light that shined upon the surface of the bridge, reflecting into his crimson points and brightening his vision.

The bridge was incredibly long, and the walk between the edge of the forest and the checkpoint took them over five minutes to complete. Momonga had been lost in thought during the process, and he barely registered the length of time it took between the two markers of the bridge.

He glanced at Shera and Rem. The two of them were still fighting as if they were arch rivals, pushing each other in front of the checkpoint and mumbling between them. He wanted to question them both, and uncover why the both of them were acting strange, but he decided to ignore it.

"After you..."  Rem offered, pushing Shera in front.

"Why? You  go first!"  Shera replied.

Momonga assumed that they wanted to skip the long and demanding process of the checkpoint. Even so, he did not understand why going before the other would somehow help them ignore security. The undead decided to, again, ignore the two girls and continue forward to the building.

As Momonga approached, he noticed two male guards in low-tier, silver armour. They were both holding a strange-looking spear with an axe head on the tip — a halberd, if he was remembering correctly. He had witnessed a lot of the physical weapons in YGGDRASIL, but not many halberds.

The closest guard noticed Momonga approaching, and he shifted his head to greet him. However, as Momonga's fleshless visage met his own eyes, the man gasped out of horror. The guard tightened his hold on the halberd and moved closer, intending to apprehend the undead beast.