Chapter 8: Semantics

Start from the beginning

Her hair brought out her fierce pale light blue eyes surrounded by a soft pink eye shadow.

She also had a couple of beauty marks just below her right eye that further accentuated her beauty.

Is everyone in this world good-looking?

However, she had skepticism written all over her face.

"I'm sure you're doubtful so let me offer you a bit of assurance" I mentioned as I crossed my legs.

"For now, I'll give you the location of a decently sized gem mine"

"Do with it what you will, for all I know you could take what's there and abandon me" I said as I took a piece of paper out of my pocket and slid it across the table towards the Marchioness.

On the paper, I wrote down the address of a reasonably sized gem mine I had remembered.

Big enough to get my sincerity across but small enough not to show all of my cards.

I sighed, if it wasn't for my lack of connections I would have kept everything in there for myself.

The Marchioness took the paper off the table and motioned for the maid standing by the doors to come over.

Quickly the mid ran over to the Marchioness.

The Marchioness then handed the paper to the maid as she whispered something in the maid's ear.

Suddenly, the maid bowed and exited the room.

I chuckled, why do I feel like I'm in one of those crime dramas where the protagonist makes a deal with the boss to spare their life?

"I hope you don't mind, I'll have to check the location first before promising anything"

"Of course"

"Until then, let's continue our conversation,"

"I'm not saying I don't believe in you, Lady Ivanna"

"But even if the information you've given me is true,"

"I'm not quite sure if you're a reliable business partner"

"That's understandable,"

"I'm a villainess after all," I chuckled.

"However, I'm sure you're aware of the situation within the duchy"

"As someone who's just overcome death, I'm no longer interested in the petty behaviors I once was"

"Hah, that's easier said than done"

"Well, that's true" I agreed.

"What are you interested in these days then?" the Marchioness asked.

"It's simple really"

"I'm interested in things that benefit me"

"That doesn't really seem any different to me" the Marchioness replied.