Chapter 19 - Offroad

Pacifica woke up slowly aided by the vivifying assistance of strong dark coffee. The cobwebs and fog were lifting from her mind with each sip. She had slept rough last night. She was not used to sleeping on a couch and it was a far stretch from her Mulberry sheets and memory foam four-poster bed within the Northwest mansion.

Mabel was humming as she fried sausage in a cast iron pan on a grate over the fire pit. Dipper had woken her up early, being a morning person, but Mabel had needed a little more coercing. After three cups of coffee, she had perked up. More like coffee syrup Pacifica mused with a smirk. Dipper was busy helping Stanley unload the dirt bikes from the back of the trailer.

Dipper had informed her that they would be dirt biking out on Barlow trail after breakfast. Pacifica had some experience in dirt biking. She had told Mabel about this a year ago. Her father and mother had left for a business merger in Taipei and left her to her own devices for a month. It had been a liberating month of fun and freedom.

Pacifica had heard her friend from preparatory school rave about dirt biking for years. At first, she had been disinterested in the idea. The girl named Tammara, or Tammy as almost everyone called her, was a thrill-seeking adrenaline junkie. In many ways, she reminded Pacifica of Wendy, and Tammy's genuine passion for life was a refreshing change of pace from the starched posturing masses of rich students jockeying for social supremacy.

To Pacifica's surprise over the years, Tammy's stories had taken hold of her. Each night after dinner and studies Tammy and Pacifica would talk and share stories. Tammy's excursions were often exciting and bold filled with outdoor adventures. Every daring jump or rush of speed was somehow conveyed with lucid thrill and inspiration as Tammy re-lived her moments of glory in true storytelling exposition.

Later that year Pacifica hired a professional tutor to teach her how to dirt bike over that summer month she had been emancipated from under the watchful scrutinizing eye of her father. Her instructor was tough, almost to a fault, but Pacifica had never been one to fail to rise to a challenge. She willed herself to learn and adapt. She came out of the training with a strong understanding of motocross dirt biking.

Dipper was setting up the bike while Stanley was looking for the helmets. Four were retrieved, but only three were needed. Pacifica's gear was far superior, but she kept that detail to herself and thanked Ford for the helmet as he had given her the cleanest-looking one.

Dipper was filling Pacifica in on great detail about his last trip out on his dirt bike. Mabel grinned obliquely at Pacifica knowing how good she was at motocross. Dipper was no novice either from what Mabel had conveyed. He had been dirt biking for years now. Mabel however kept silent as well.

Pacifica enjoyed seeing him excited and happy though. Dipper seeing her smile now smiled back cheerfully and shared his story with more gusto. She chuckled to herself. He was a dork...a dork with a cute smile, wavy chocolate brown hair, and hazelnut eyes.

Pacifica leaned against the picnic table, her eyes still watching Dipper. His shoulders had broadened out and his chest was more defined these days. He still wore a hat but after he had retired his pine tree hat to his bookshelf a year ago he got a new hat. The old one was placed in a seat of honor, like a relic of his childhood. The pine tree hat was showing signs of wear and Dipper had shelved it to save it rather than losing interest. His new hat was seated firmly on his head. This one was blue as well, but rather than the pine tree logo it sported the Nasa logo. He wore boot-cut blue jeans and a Fox motocross gear shirt emblazoned with the green fox logo.