CHAPTER ELEVEN - blooming Bonds

CHAPTER ELEVEN

Blooming Bonds

Four was not in the infirmary when they arrived. The room was cold, but then everything seemed cold to Mijora who could only cling to Minka as she lead Mijora to one of the beds that lined the wall, where Mijora instantly collasped into it's comfort.

"Are you quite stupid?" Asked Minka.

Majora laughed, it was a hollow empty sound. "No, but I think ive quite possibly gone mad."

"clearly." Minka said.

She left the room briefly, hailing down one of the ivory constructs that passed in the hallway. They had already an arm full of books and seemed to be in the middle of something, but Minka politely asked it to get assistance for Mijora's injury. She came back in the room, looking over her shoulder. "I don't like those things." She said.

"They give me the creeps." Mijora agreed softly.

"You think so?"

"Oh, moons yes."

The other Acolyte looked back top the door, then said quietly. "Dexi thinks it's stupid. That theyre completely safe and following orders."

"How can she be so sure? She just a blood adept."

"She says her father's assistant is an Osteo, and that theyre always running errands for the family, but I dont trust them." Minka admitted.

Mijora knew what she meant, the constructs here were different to the the ones shed seen before. Though, admittedly, the ones she were familiar were shoddily uneven things with missing ribs and hands which made her feel uneasy and unsafe. Although Rosalie's were almost perfect, even with rose etched into their skulls, there was still that unsettling feeling about them. Without eyeballs or vocal chords, it missed most of what conveys emotion at all, and Mijora could never decide if they were a threat or not.

"I don't think the headmistress would allow them unless they were safe." Mijora said after a long pause, but she didn't know if she believed them after almost being beaten to a pulp by their teacher.

Her fellow Acolyte shrugged, and crossed her arms. In the glow of the green flame, her skin seemed even darker, and even more beautiful.

"Aren't you going back to Twos Lesson?" asked Mijora after a moment of possibly awkward silence. She tried to sit up, but her ribs screamed out and she lay back down again.

"To that crazy bastard? Moons, no, not yet. I think I'll wait till a few minutes with you." Chuckled Minka. Mijora laughed with her and the pair exchanged a small smile. The amusement was short lasting as Minka asked. "What was that back there? Why didn't you fight?"

Oh boy.

How do you go about explaining that sort of thing to a person you just met?

She contemplated lying to her, but what would she say? Mijora wasn't known for her lying ability; she was too honest, even when the situation didn't call for it. "I... Didnt grow up like everyone else." Mijora said slowly, searching for the words to say. "My parents, they, uh, wasn't very nice to me." She said, forcing a smile. "We were Arcana farmers, and so all I have ever done is work the fields. Poppydeath was my life for a very, very long time. If I didn't do it right, I got whipped."

That was sort of true, and she didn't feel guilty for the white lies between.

Minka nodded slowly to this confession. "I'm a farmer too." she said. "A regular farmer, not the fancy kind like you. My family own one of the largest orchards in Escen. I have four brothers and three sister, I learned to fight very young. It was the only way to get what I wanted."