33. Poisoned Family

Start from the beginning

I shook my head a little. "Turning our backs on him wasn't an option," I said. "And I'm happy to have him all to myself."

She laughed lightly. "That is a relief to hear. Listen, I'd like to take you and your parents out for dinner sometime soon, would that be all right?"

"Sure. My dads would like to meet you, too," I said.

"Wonderful! It's the least I can do after you've taken so good care of my son," she said. "Would this weekend be all right?"

"I'll ask them, but I'm sure they're free," I said.

"Great," she said, smiling, but then she let out an annoyed sigh. "Let's get through this night first, shall we...?"

"I like that plan," Nic said. "Where's Dad?"

"Ugh, I don't even know, but you don't have to be there during his speech if you don't want to," Laura said.

"He'll never stop bringing it up if I don't..." Nic muttered.

"Fuck him," Laura said gently. "Now, go mingle. I think I saw Jess and Daniel in the living room."

"All right, thanks, Mom," Nic said, kissed her cheek, and we continued our way.

And we did not get too far before I stopped another familiar face.

My heart froze. I froze.

"Jax...?" Nic spoke my name and turned to see what I was staring at. He froze, too.

It was his brother.

Kenneth.

He was talking to an older man who looked so much like the Gabriels he had to be their relative. There was a girl with them. Blonde, around our age. Kenneth never moved his hand off her back, and he kept giving her adoring glances, so I assumed she was his girlfriend. They all were smiling and laughing and talking in an excited manner.

Nic let out an angry breath and took a step toward them, but I stopped him. He turned to glare at me, his eyes flashing, but I shook my head.

"It's fine," I said, and turned to look at the girl.

She was missing a leg.

I let out a slow, deep breath. And so... There was only one Gabriel I could hate left.

"He was just a kid," I said quietly. "Just a stupid, immature teenager..."

"But he bullied you!" Nic said angrily. "I'm not letting him get away with that!"

"He bullied me, so what? What are you going to do about it? Beat him in front of his disabled girlfriend? And your, what, grandpa?"

"He's my brother. I have to do something," he said.

"Baby... You can't change what happened," I told him, taking his hand in mine to make sure he couldn't go do anything stupid. "But you changed me. And it looks like Kenneth changed himself. That's... Honestly? That's all that really matters to me anymore. That's the best outcome there can be."

"I can tell him I'm very disappointed in him," Nic said, still fuming.

I laughed. "Well, if I'm stuck with your family, I can tell him that myself one day. It's going to be one hell of an awkward Thanksgiving, though."

"But–"

"Nic. I don't care," I breathed out with a smile. "Come. Let's find Jess and Dan."

He did follow me, but reluctantly. He glanced at Kenneth over his shoulder a few times, but finally let it go.