Chapter 20: Wings and Tails

[Y/n's PoV]

I followed Yae Miko inside the sanctum. Though it could not be compared to a large, opulent palace, there's still an aura of reverence and dignity in this shrine. She speaks with a calm, almost soothing voice, as if speaking to me with her kind words alone is supposed to calm my mind. But I remembered the feeling that I got when I locked eyes with her earlier.

"Please, sit."

I quietly obeyed and waited for her to speak up.

"Let's just get this out of the way. I will be quite frank with you. I've heard about your... history."

She paused for a while, and then continued.

"You have been known to... unleash your inner power in a rather primal way when you face danger. If I understand correctly, you are capable of causing a devastating amount of destruction. Is that correct?"

"...."

She looks at me with a face that's impossible to read, keeping her words and voice as calm as possible.

After I nod, she continues to speak with her alluring voice.

"When the time is right, you will unleash your power. In order to defend your loved ones, you don't hesitate to fight— no rather, you destroy."

She leans back in her seat, giving me a calm gaze as she speaks.

"Where are you heading with this conversation?" I simply asked her straight to the point.

She smirks at me.

"Let me ask you first. Do you think I'm here to warn you not to fight? I've heard rumours from the past, of you using your inner power. It's quite the spectacle. You are very, very dangerous..."

Eager to know where this talk was heading, I cannot help but to listen on with rapt attention.

"You are a rare and unique being. Please, do not ever doubt that. And when you find the time, do not hesitate to unleash it. Let it all burn. Let the world know. Just be sure that you are doing it..."

She pauses again, as she looks outside the window, and then looks at me.

"...For the right reasons."

"No one can handle the power you possess, except yourself. You know exactly how to wield it and when to control it."

"...."

"You know... Ei and I have known each other for a long time. I've come to understand her mind... and yours, as well."

"Your strength is quite impressive. However, you can be a bit too reckless at times. I'd say you don't know your limits or you push too far..."

She seems to think about something before continuing.

"It's not right for a lioness to act without restraint."

"...."

She noticed my silence and perhaps answer my unspoken words for me.

"That is because... You have not yet found a path worthy of your strength."

"Excuse me?"

I put on a serious expression and spoke with a more blunt tone.

"...I have witnessed you in combat. You possessed an enormous capacity for destruction. Your strength is on another level, but your direction isn't."