"You have a good heart, too, Nyx. You took her in when she infuriated you. You did everything in your power to help her in any way, even when everyone was against you. Perhaps it's because of love, but I know your heart is good. Gods, son, you wouldn't crush an insect as a child. You cried when Cassian accidentally stepped on a butterfly in the garden. I think I've had a hand in hardening the walls around your heart, but I know that you still let that goodness show.

"I have my trust in you. You've been well trained and prepared, and I trust you to make the right decisions for our court. I know you're in love, and I have made some foolish decisions in the name of love, but I don't regret any of them. If you would like to marry Theia, you have my blessing. I will send word to the Priestesses. It can be a private ceremony, or I'm sure your mother and Mor would gladly help you plan an extravagant one. Please, don't make me regret this. You know I can take it all away if necessary, but don't bring me to that."

Nyx chewed on his lip as he nodded. "Thank you, father."

"If this is your final decision, I believe we should announce it. The family will know at dinner, and I believe we should announce it in the Hewn City tonight. That means that Theia will need to be present. If word gets out, the other courts will know by tomorrow. Theia will be presented with the same opportunities as you, and she will be seen already at a higher rank than now. Or, if you prefer, we can announce it after you are wed."

Nyx looked down at his hands. He gripped the armrests of the chair, the taut skin bleached of his naturally darker tone. His jaw flexed as he tried to decide what Theia would want. She'd hate that attention, and quite frankly, it would terrify her. But would it prepare her for the future? She would be under everyone's watch as High Lady. She would constantly be under scrutiny, not only by the Night Court but by the other courts. But it may make her want to hide, even if it's announced to the family in a private setting. The thought of announcing it made him think of Zen and how pissed she would be if he didn't tell her himself. He'd need to make a trip to Windhaven soon.

"We will wait until after we are wed. I don't think we should announce it to the family yet, either. There has been strange tension with her lately and I think it would add to her stress. I'll speak with her and we will decide when it is right to make an announcement," Nyx finally responded, meeting his father's eyes. Rhysand nodded, though his face was tightened in a way that made it seem like he was trying desperately to figure out what any of that meant. Nyx hadn't mentioned the situations with Azriel, nor the anger from Cassian.

"I can understand that. Rather than an announcement, you two can tell them on your own accord. In the mean time, you're welcome to the trove to find her a ring."

Nyx grinned, rising from the chair. His father did, too, and walked around the desk. Rhysand held out his hand, which Nyx took to shake it, but Rhys pulled him into his front. Nyx grunted at the impact. His body relaxed when Rhysand's hands went to his shoulders, his chin on the muscle. Nyx's eyes squeezed shut as he leaned into his father's touch, soaking in the embrace. It was rare nowadays.

"I'm proud of you, son. And though I thought it was wrong at first, I'm glad to see that you found a love like I did. You deserve it, Nyx."

His voice was low, as if the words were only meant for Nyx's ears. They were, and he took them into his chest and clung to them. Nyx nodded, leaning back and giving his father a hard pat on the shoulder.

"Thank you."

Rhysand gave a curt nod, lifting his chin. Nyx saw the glimmer to his eyes that showed emotion that was rare for the High Lord. Another hard part and a tight smile, and then they both turned to the door.

"I'm going to the trove. Could you distract her for me?"

Rhysand nodded with a small grin before leaving the room. Nyx sucked in a breath, his head dropping into his hands. He'd only just begun showing true emotion to Theia. He'd cried to her only select times, and he hadn't shown it to his parents since the night he cried in his mother's arms. Never that careful release of emotion, raw and entirely himself. He'd been angry to the point of tears with his father, and nearly cried when he forgave him, but a comforting embrace with words like that felt like more than he'd gotten since childhood.

Nyx's hands slid down his face as he inhaled again. He brushed his hair back and exhaled slowly, and then he winnowed away. His stomach lurched as he stepped into the room. Darkness faded and the glimmer of gems and jewelry made their appearance. Nyx had only ever been here twice before, but it still astonished him when he stepped in. He knew of their wealth, but everything he knew felt meek in the presence of this.

Eyes scanning the skulls with crowns, Nyx walked to the display Rhys had put together for the different types of jewelry. One table held twisted metals topped with gems, outstretched like a hand awaiting something to be placed within it. Each 'finger' of the metal was stacked with rings, a few velvet boxes displayed on the table beneath them. Nyx gently twisted them, looking at each one. Some were simple, some extravagant. Theia would enjoy something that wasn't a display of wealth, but of love.

Nyx's gaze snagged on a sapphire and diamond ring. He'd seen it before, it had been a favorite as a child when he was first brought here. He liked the oval shaped sapphire in the center, several small diamonds placed around it as though orbiting. The band was silver, simple, but it didn't feel right. He chewed on the inside of his cheek, glancing further down the table. He picked up several more, eyeing a few that seemed more like Theia's taste. Finally, he found it.

Moonstone, sphere-shaped and adorned with three diamonds above and below it. They reminded him of the tattoo he shared with his father, Ramiel and the three stars. The pink-tinted gold of the band reminded him of Theia's love for the Dawn Court, and the carved crescent moons on either side of the moonstone was a call to the court they would rule.

Excitement sparked in his chest as Nyx pressed the ring into the velvet box, snapping it shut and placing it in his pocket. He wanted Theia to choose a ring for himself, but she had no access to this room, nor did Nyx want to upset her by bringing her here. She was not fond of wealth and would surely argue that most of the jewelry could be sold to give the coin to the farmers or shop-owners. Rather than dragging her into this room of ancient wealth, Nyx plucked a midnight band, lined with silver. It had a depth to it that he couldn't understand, the silver shimmering from deep within. It reminded him of the night sky, and for that, it was perfect.