Chapter 6 - Snuggles and Defeat

Beginne am Anfang

Conrad walks out, "That went well," I say from behind, making both Belly and Jere jump in surprise.

"Did we wake you up?" Jere's eyes soften.

"Meh, I had to wake up eventually," I shrug, giving him a smile. Then I turn to Belly, "Talk some sense into Con, will you? You're the only person who can get through to him when he's like this."

Belly sighs, "Conrad doesn't care what I think anymore."

"Yes, he does, you know he does. The breakup doesn't change anything, you are still his person," I try to convince her.

"I'm hungry? Who else is hungry?" Belly successfully changes the subject because I am starving.

"Y'know... the grocery store is right next to Ocean Harbor. We could get some food there?"

"We're gonna go find Aunt Julia, aren't we?" I sigh, "Can we get the food first though?"

Jere chuckles, "Sure whatever." I love his smile. I love everything about him, and I never even got to say it to him.

Jeremiah's pov:

Belly skipped out on seeing Aunt Julia to see if she could calm down Conrad. Hopefully she can, that boy is a mess. So, it's just me and Cassie. We've been laughing and joking the whole way until she changes the subject, "So what's our game plan with Julia? Murder...Bribery?"

"Wow, murder was the first thing that came to mind? Remind me not to mess with you. I was thinking that we just play to my strengths," I say, wiggling my eyebrows.

Cassidy rolls her eyes, "So charm offensive."

Before I can stop myself, I say, "It worked on you."

There's an awkward silence, "That's why we got flowers huh?" she plays it off like a joke.

"Yup, I wish I had more to go on, but she and my mom weren't exactly close. The last time I saw Skye I was probably like 7-8 years old."

"That's a long time."

"Yuuuup," I wish I could erase what I just said. Why did I do that? Why did I do that? Why did I do that!!!

"I remember Susannah telling me and Belly that it was her big sister that convinced her she could be an artist."

"Really?" The tension we were feeling was starting to slip away, "Y'know honestly I don't remember much about her, so I'll just have to wing it," I say with a wink. I can't not flirt with Cass, it's not in my nature. "Knowing Connie, he probably took the righteous anger route. I'm sure that went over...well?"

"Yeah, Connie has never been good at putting on a happy face when he's not feeling so happy."

"He's been exhausting," I sigh.

We pull in and walk up to the room that Aunt Julia and Skye are staying in. I take a couple deep breaths and knock on the door. Aunt Julia opens the door almost immediately.

"Can I help you?" She asks, clearly not remembering me.

"Aunt Julia! Oh my god! Conrad told me you were here; it's been so long. Just wanted to say hi!" I say, pulling out the charm.

"Jeremiah! And-" Julia pauses looking at Cassie.

"I'm Cassidy Conklin! I'm Laurel Parks's daughter, Susannah's best friend."