010 Pandora's Box

CHAPTER TEN . Pandora's Box

     Robert had apologised in his own special way, chucking a bag of Haribos at her

Robert had apologised in his own special way, chucking a bag of Haribos at her. He hadn't even done anything wrong, if anything she should be saying sorry to him. It made it very easy to forgive him. She asked him if he wanted friendship rings and he pretended to think that it was stupid, he still took the sweet that she held out for him and slid it onto his finger. He complained about it being sticky, she told him that it meant he was stuck with her forever. He didn't laugh, he just smiled to himself.

They had spent the last week of July and the first week of August sitting in parks or at the beach - cans of Koppaberg and bottles of Smirnoff ice passed around. Music playing on someone's phone, they took turns on whose music it was. Apart from Lola, she did not want to be judged on her music taste, she happily opted out. October had made a daisy chain one time and put it on Ryan's head, saying that he looked very beautiful. They went to the cinema, Josh wanted to watch 'Despicable Me 3', she couldn't tell if it had been a joke or not. She much preferred when they watched 'Dunkirk' (and it wasn't for the plot of the movie). Then once the day was ending and everyone was going back home October would go to Elijah's house.

Kissing Elijah for the first time had been like opening Pandora's box. It seemed beautiful - he was enticing and she gave in. His eyes were the night sky with stars shining in them. Then what was meant to be simple, what was meant to be everything she wanted, didn't turn out as she had expected. All that it gave her were questions and doubts. She loved the fact that her life felt more bright, an abundance of secret colours that didn't exist before him. That her eyes are satisfied when they looking at him and her lips are satisfied when they're paired with his. Her hand fit with his like a puzzle piece. His mind felt the same as hers. In theory, it should be beautiful. It shouldn't feel like she had only caused more problems by kissing him.

Her mum didn't question the recent development of nights spent away. October was an adult, she trusted her to make sensible decisions. Florence knew but didn't ask. She'd sometimes drop her off at Elijah's or pick her up in the morning, they never talked about it. October didn't want to, Florence would be there for her when she did.

Elijah would occasionally come around for a cup of tea and talk to her Mum about the progress the band was making or he would listen as she talked about her day at work. She swore that he had the ability to talk to anyone. October talked a lot but only with people she knew or felt comfortable around. With strangers she was a lot quieter, it depended on who it was.

Maisie liked him too and she hardly liked anyone. He'd bring her chocolate when he would come around, October joked that he was bribing her to like him. Maisie had 'accidentally' called him October's boyfriend once, well, implied it. It made for a very awkward situation.

They were going to watch a movie together and Maisie was asking him to pass her the remote. When he was pretending to think about it she jokingly said, "Why is October dating someone as annoying as you?" They stumbled over their words, avoiding looking at each other as they tried to explain that they weren't dating. Maisie apologised for assuming but didn't seem convinced - it wasn't brought up again.