V - The Chapter of Forgettable but Important Information

Rachel dropped Piper and began to shuffle towards Sol. Her eyes shifted from green to a deep violet, like the sky at twilight. They stopped glowing as they turned dull and cold, boring into Sol. the mist in the air seemed to flicker between the two colors, like the oracle and some other force were competing for control over Rachel.

Her mouth opened and more of the indigo smoke pouring out as she spoke again, but this time in a different voice. Instead of feeling distant and old, this voice sounded so close it was like it came from Sol's own head. It was rich and alluring, with a sort of fragile yet passionate femininity. Sol wanted to listen, to give in to the voice.

My dear, you have so much to learn, the voice cooed. You are content to let their fires blaze freely, but you will not take control. Extinguish them, before they burn you down. I'm counting on you. I will change your mind.

The room tilted, and Sol's vision went black.

~~~~~~~~

She dreamed of Althea.

"Sana'y di magmaliw ang dati kong araw. Nang munti pang bata sa piling ni nanay. Nais kong maulit ang awit ni inang mahal. Awit ng pag-ibig habang ako'y nasa duyan." There was a baby in Althea's arms swaddled in cloths covered in a sun pattern. The baby, Crisanto, wiggled in his mother's arms. Althea's back was to Sol.

"Sa aking pagtulog na labis ang himbing. Ang bantay ko'y tala, ang tanod ko'y bituin. Sa piling ni nanay, langit ay buhay. Puso kong may dusa sabik sa ugoy ng duyan."

Sol ran towards her. "Althea! It's me, Sol! Me!"

Althea turned around, and Sol screamed. Her eyes were dark like Rachel's had been, her skin grey and cracked like an ancient stone statue. You can't run from me, Consolación, she said, but the voice wasn't hers. It was the same one that spoke through Rachel. Sooner or later, you will realize. Your past has shaped you, your thoughts have led you. Now they belong to me. You will serve me when the time comes.

Look at your father. The voice came from behind her now. Sol whipped around to see Aphrodite. He's heartbroken. His only daughter, leaving him, just like his lover. Aphrodite stepped away to reveal a man hunched over on the ground.

"Dad? Tatay?" Sol reached out to her father, until he looked up, showing her his violet eyes.

He has suffered at your hand, as has Althea, who has watched part of her husband die, as has Crisanto, who grew up with half his room empty. All of this tragedy, all from you.

Give into it, Consolación Salazar.

The voice echoed all around her, and Sol frantically spun around, looking at the dark, splintered faces of the people surrounding her. Annabeth, Percy, Grover, Travis, Silena. Everyone she ever loved was here, tormenting her.

All of their mouths moved in sync, speaking in the voice of the woman. You were born to destroy the gods, as you have destroyed your family, and your friends. Give into it. Give into it, they began to repeat as the circle of people surrounding her closed in.

"No! I'm sorry, I never meant to!"

A hand grabbed her shoulder and pulled her around. Her dad pushed her backwards, and Sol felt her heel slip. With one final push, she tripped and fell down, everything turning black again as she stared up at the cold face of her father.

~~~~~~~

Sol jolted awake. She rubbed her eyes, taking in her surroundings. She was in the Big House, laying next to Piper, who was softly snoring. Glancing out the window, it looked to Sol like it was past dinner at least.